Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ikea Security -_-

Quote Originally Posted by CathayA340 View Post
    No :/ I just called him that. I don't know why everyone is starting to "gang up" on me, it makes me feel uncomfortable.
    Gang bangs are uncomfortable. Don't ask how I know that.

All joking aside, no one is trying to gang up on you...there's a WEALTH of information in the forums and around the site that people choose not to read on, then end up complaining about when they do what is clearly not to be done, then wonder why they get flamed. Everyone is simply trying to help you out...but if you choose not to help yourself, you'll get flamed. I've had the pleasure of shooting, spotting, and damn near being arrested with some of the folks on this site, and I can tell you from experience that they're here to help.

If you're really that interested about the "arrest" comment, sift through the spotter blotters regarding EWR. I have faith that you're sharp enough to find ample material as to what I'm referring to, and why we don't spot at EWR at large. For the same reasons, several people warned you about going there.
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

You should not feel uncomfortable... don't be so paranoid. Want to know what makes this site so great, especially these forums? Ask yourself why you wanted to join and participate in the first place? What impressed you about the site and the forums? You need to learn to have a little more patience.

So, Internet Lesson Number One: ETIQUETTE ... it is so important, yet so many fail miserably at it.
    Lesson Number Two: CULTURE. Take time to learn the culture of a site and especially the forums. Do not violate the culture and you shall thrive
    Lesson Number Three: "Ganging-up" as you call it is nothing more than basic FLAMING. You have some choices there: Leave the site, wear a Flame Proof Suit or learn to respect others and the propane will be turned off.

I think the rest is up to you... Everyone here is BEYOND gracious. I treat (and am treated by) some of the people on the site like they are family. You have the same opportunity we afford everyone. Just slow down a bit and take it all in... I recommend you read about 500 or so threads and then see if you feel any different.

Now, please stay away from EWR. We do not want you to get in any sort of trouble. Really!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Program Coordinator
    Gang bangs are uncomfortable. Don't ask how I know that.
    How do you know that? (you asked him not to...said nothing about me...)

I'm probably one of the newest people to this forum, but I have done a $hi& ton of spotting in the last year. If I have one piece of advice for you, it's to stay away from EWR until you get the hang of things. Consider it like a black diamond run in skiing. And remember, Ikea is a private business and if they tell you to get lost, you have to obey.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Ok, thanks for all te advice everyone. I just sifted through some threads about EWR spotting and they sound terrible....Im going to keep my decision on where I will be spotting because some of you might be unhappy or happy with this. Anyways, the only person that I feel that I really trust so far is mldoc, so I tell him what is really going on and he is really kind and nice to me :3
    I remember seeing somewhere a weird strategy for planespotting at EWR, it was on a site that I don't remember. It said "brig a small child with you who likes planes...". I don't think that seems very reasonable...but would that work?

as was said before, and clearly evidenced in the forums, stay AWAY from EWR. That is the recommendation anyone will give you who knows anything about spotting there.

What you also have to keep in mind, is that when you go out as a spotter, you represent all spotters. It may not be a concept that's readily apparent, but as you gain experience you'll know what I mean. If you go to EWR and get busted, it's more likely that you'll be looked at as "one of those spotters" than as an individual...at least on many levels. Your decisions as an individual can have a profound affect on the climate for everyone. Again, no one can hold your hand and keep you from going there; but hopefully you'll practice sound judgement. The scope of this forum isn't global for no reason. The best thing you can do is link up with a good group of guys out at JFK for a day and see how things go on a daily basis. Although it's not a given, we get visited by local police on the regular. When that happens, watch and learn from the experienced guys. You'l be fine, AND you'll learn. That's the best possible combination.

The folks on this site have TREMENDOUS amounts of experience with spotting....if you take their word for rote for the time being and keep it in mind as you gain your own experience, you'll see what we mean!

Oh...and Jeremy, don't ask questions you don't want the answers to.
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

on many occasions sometimes bringing a child dont always pass. Also dont think anyone is gaining up on u cuz we r not. What we tell u is the same way we tell many new comers here, and we do it so that none of us run into problems. We have gone through this with many newbies in the past and i tell u, its not all that easy but we do it because we care about our fellow spotters. And I have the same belief that Manny sees. This site is like family. This site is the place for all us airplane geeks to talk about aviation and there are off aviation topics as well. Ill put it this way, We do teach many newbies about planespotting and what to expect in such ways.

Dont ever be ashamed to ask for help. We r all here for that. We dont gang up on anyone or make fun of no one here. Us here sometimes make jokes and have our laughs, and think of it this way, its a positive attitude. Just keep things positive and u will be ok. Be careful around EWR, maybe u should make your way to JFK or LGA one day, and u wont have much same problems as EWR. Stay positive
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

A little late joining this party but listen to what others are saying....they are trying to help and share their knowledge and experiences.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Cathay, please do not take it personal. We ALL spend a LOT of time sharing information here on this site so that people can go spotting armed with knowledge. It can become frustrating when people do things that are either contrary to advice given, or that differ from info all over the site that might even have a negative impact on how ALL of us enjoy the hobby.

Not just here because of the hobby, but ANYWHERE on the internet, when joining a forum, etiquette is huge. Earlier advice given of reading more and learning, searching old threads before posting new ones, and treading lightly at first, is all good advice to immerse yourself into our community.

Glad to have you here! Enjoy your spotting. Avoid EWR altogether! haha
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I actually visit Ikea around 6-8 times a year and I have figured out an easy way to enjoy it, leave the good camera at home and just take pictures with your eyes. My wife, daughter and I enjoy the cafe and we will continue to eat the meatballs as the whole horse meat thing was only in Europe. That cafe is a great place to watch the traffic especially when on the 4's and between the dirty windows and the reflection from the lights pretty much impossible to get any kind of quality shots anyway. So for those who have never been just go eat there one day grab a window table don't take out a camera and just enjoy the view. No stress no hassles and one of the most kid friendly stores on the planet for those like me with a little kid in tow. And finally I highly recommend the triple chocolate cake when they have it.

My 2 cents

LGA777

EWR is the black diamond of spotting...the perfect analogy, Jason

Cathay there are others here who have had the heat turned on them due to what was considered poor form(the etiquette thing) but continued to stick around to become regular contributors. No it isn't a comfortable position but it's that way for a reason...better you go through it here than with the Port Authority/Elizabeth PD. Besides, this group has a vested interest in keeping the overall 'heat' on spotters as low as possible. If you search the threads here you will find another hot topic that we as a group are really struggling with, a spot at JFK. Tempers there are a little high as well but if nothing else it serves as a place for people to vent a bit, which has value in itself.

Stick around, watch how we interact with each other here, and try to 'do as the Romans do'. Think of the forums as classes you should take before going out and applying what you read. If you must attempt EWR, at least wait to build your skills as a spotter first. But even I stay away- I was there about a year ago, but I went for a SINGLE plane- the 787. Pulled up to the spot as it was on final approach, jumped out of the car, took the shots, jumped back in and pulled away. Others did the same. It was like the Italian Job of spotting it was so smooth haha(that would make a great short film haha).

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Thanks for the kind words, Cathay. I'm glad that I have earned your trust and I am sure that very soon you will trust pretty much everybody here. I'm sure that you have seen the PMs that I sent to you, which are basically echoing what everybody is trying to say here. Airplane geeks are a very friendly and supportive bunch. We are more interested in seeing each other succeed than in seeing each other fail. That is why there are things like the "Incoming" thread, so that information can be shared. It is good to see you reading through older threads for information, as there is a wealth of it there and it really serves as 'community wisdom'. I've learned much of what I know about technique, locations, interactions, and equipment by reading the archives. It is easy to kill many, many hours just reading.

Not to beat a dead horse (its going into the grinder for the Ikea meatballs anyway!), but the situation at EWR is so bad that it was a point of constant joking on Airport Day last year. They are so prohibitive of photography except for 1 six hour block once a year where they let you out on the ramp to take whatever shots you like. As Megatop said, the only other time it is worthwhile is for something very special where you are only there very briefly. The only way to escape scrutiny is to not be there long enough for them to notice you. For that matter, after leaving Airport Day last year, I took a ride on the Air Train with my camera away and was questioned about my presence at both ends of the line. If you must go to EWR, I will echo the thoughts above that you should use only your eyes.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Cathay, if you want a real EWR horror story on how extremely bad things can get there, ask Senga when he comes on the boards.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    So when the 787 was there did people stay away from EWR? Funny I don't remember that being the case. Telling a new spotter to stay away from an airport is ridiculous. Is EWR a tough airport to spot at? Sure but to tell someone to stay away is just dumb. CathayA340 if you want some good advice without the forum bravado that breaks out here PM me.

Another good piece of advice would be to avoid these threads altogether and seek people out on the side. As you have seen here what usually happens is it becomes a pissing contest and nothing constructive comes of it. I am sure Manny would be more than happy to pick you up and bring you to JFK every time you want to spot.

Now on a more logical note without the fearmongering you can shoot at EWR. It won't be nearly the same as JFK or LGA but it can be done if done in doses and on the DL. Ikea is a spot that you should avoid unless you have a car and if told to leave you have to.
    Last edited by NIKV69; 2013-02-28 at 05:19 PM.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! This is what I have been trying to say. I will pm you.