Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EWR Planespotting Help

Derf: What do you mean? Anyways, thank you =D

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CathayA340 View Post

As for cameras, my mom has a Canon SX40. Would that work well?
    You should do just fine with that for now.

Derf: What do you mean? Anyways, thank you =D
    I think that he means that you show a true love for airplanes and just enjoy being around them. You will be in good company here.

As a side note, you mentioned that you lived in Central NJ. Have you considered PHL?
    Last edited by Landing Lights; 2013-02-27 at 08:25 AM.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Thanks so much for the info mldoc! I'm glad that you said that, I will be here for a long time =)
    Yep, I do live in Central NJ. I have considered PHL but my father said that EWR is much closer and doesn't want to drive that far :P
    Anyways, I will be trying EWR first in the Frontage Road spot, and if I get busted, PHL it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    You just made bonus points for that post! Welcome to the club
    Agreed! Even if you don't get a poster quality shot, you can still get a nice dose of jet fumes, and some music to your ears!

Quote Originally Posted by mldoc View Post
    Except for on Airport Day in September. then they give you access to part of the ramp and you can take all the shots that you want for about 6 hours. It's the only day of the year that I even bother to try EWR.
    Thats usually one of the Saturdays that the Airplaneshop host a display show where u can buy collectables and such wat at good prices. I plan to attend this year. And I will planespot along with that
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Thanks for the info everyone. I so agree neurodave757!!

New EWR Planespotting

Hey guys!

I was just on YouTube looking at videos of EWR planespotting. The same spotter I was talking about before discovered a spot with no security. He stayed in the location for 45 minutes and left to go to frontage road. Look it up on google maps and you can see a plane landing in the photo :P The address is 519 Dowd Avenue. It is just behind ikea on the other side of the turnpike. Do you think I should also try this spot? Thanks =)

At this point, I don't know why you are even bothering to ask our opinions. Looking at the spot on the map, I wouldn't want to shoot there in any case, as it appears to be directly in line with the runway, so you will end up with nothing but belly shots, but given security around the airport, I wouldn't recommend it. Ultimately, it's up to you.

Oh ok...Im sorry. I just wanted to show you guys the location...I would be the test monkey and I would tell you my results.

ROFL xD hahaha
    Anyways do you mind if I go check it out? I just wanna get a sense of his things really are at EWR....seeing security or not :S

Anyways do you mind if I go check it out? I just wanna get a sense of his things really are at EWR....seeing security or not :S
    I'm not a cop, nor do I play one on TV, so I won't tell you what to do. I'm just a guy who's taken pictures of airplanes for 40+ years. I've had the pleasure of speaking with a dozen different police agencies, plus the FBI, about my aircraft photos, and it's been years since I've been asked to leave a spot I was shooting from.

ROFL xD hahaha
    If you're in locations outside of the IKEA parking lot, you probably won't be dealing with security, you'll be dealing with real Elizabeth, Newark, or Port Authority police. Just something to keep in mind. One of my incidents from EWR is noted here: http://nycaviation.com/forum/threads...-%E2%80%93-EWR

Like I said in the other thread, most spotters who go to EWR, go for a single plane. About 3 times last year, I went to EWR to get a single plane. I tracked it and timed my stop at EWR to match when the plane arrived, then got out of dodge. This is why I recommended PHL, BWI, JFK, etc., if you want a relaxing day of spotting, and would like to brush up on your aviation photography skills. Also, at PHL, BWI, and JFK, you'll actually find other plane spotters, who you can chat with and learn from. I know you don't like hearing that you shouldn't go spotting at certain airports, but everyone here is giving advice based on experience. A lot of us have been through this already at EWR, so we're trying to spare you (and your dad) the potential trauma.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

I've merged the "New EWR Spot" thread with the "EWR spotting help" thread, because we otherwise have three threads about EWR spots, all started by the same person within a few days of each other.

I also moved it to the Spotting Planning forum, because it does not belong in the Photography forum.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].