Thread: Planeview Park night landing at LGA

Planeview Park night landing at LGA

had some time to kill tonight while waiting for a flight

It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

i remember when I was a kid in the 60's driving on the GCP by the threshold for 4 with my familia ,late night,a night of fog,and driving rain, and this Eastern Electra just explodes out of the murk, landing lamps beaming,prop disks shimmering,right over the top of us, I can still hear the whine/roar of those Allisons, so very,very,cool, also my one and only landing at LGA in the 727 was runway 4,on a see forever night and a banking sweeping visual that encompassed lower Manhattan,Brooklyn,and Queens, I remember noting the traffic on the Grand central as I began my roundout,and flare, and thinking about another circle completing.
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eric8669 View Post
    had some time to kill tonight while waiting for a flight
    Hey Eric,
    Nice video. I've loved that spot since I was kid. A rainy day is always a good day at Planeview Park!
    -Don B.

Quote Originally Posted by 727C47 View Post
    i remember when I was a kid in the 60's driving on the GCP by the threshold for 4 with my familia ,late night,a night of fog,and driving rain, and this Eastern Electra just explodes out of the murk, landing lamps beaming,prop disks shimmering,right over the top of us, I can still hear the whine/roar of those Allisons, so very,very,cool, also my one and only landing at LGA in the 727 was runway 4,on a see forever night and a banking sweeping visual that encompassed lower Manhattan,Brooklyn,and Queens, I remember noting the traffic on the Grand central as I began my roundout,and flare, and thinking about another circle completing.
    Man, this brings back great memories. I grew up in Flushing right under the 31 approach. In the 70s I totally remember
    the EAL Electras. Your words paint a great picture of those memories. We lived on the top floor of an apartment building
    and it sounded like the planes were going to scrape the roof. Especially on a rainy or snowy day- they seemed that much closer.
    The EAL Electra's and L1011's were my KLGA faves!
    -Don B.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviation.High.Guy View Post
    Man, this brings back great memories. I grew up in Flushing right under the 31 approach. In the 70s I totally remember
    the EAL Electras. Your words paint a great picture of those memories. We lived on the top floor of an apartment building
    and it sounded like the planes were going to scrape the roof. Especially on a rainy or snowy day- they seemed that much closer.
    The EAL Electra's and L1011's were my KLGA faves!
    My Grandparents lived right off Main St on cherry ave. planes flew right over.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

I still love being on the Grand Central when A flight comes over.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

This is exactly how I remember the Electra passing over our apt in Flushing.

-Don B.

awesome !!! by the time they got to Jersey they were itty bitty things,with the Allisons reduced to a whisper.
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

What a fantastic shot of that Electra, Don

Cool video as well there Eric