Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Travel Blogger Thrown off flight for taking pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    I browed the page and loved the pic of the wing from a passenger. Pretty ironic that he was allowed to take pics in the cabin. What a joke.
    The best is their Instagram account (http://instagram.com/united), where it invites pax to "share your travel inspiration with #united". I think I'll take a photo of their photo policy page and post it to their Instagram account, next time I fly with them. As long as I can do so without compromising their "service and security", of course.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Is taking a picture of their inflight magazine, considered part of their equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    The best is their Instagram account (http://instagram.com/united), where it invites pax to "share your travel inspiration with #united". I think I'll take a photo of their photo policy page and post it to their Instagram account, next time I fly with them. As long as I can do so without compromising their "service and security", of course.

Hmmm, I have been taking pictures on UNITED planes for years, in full view of the crew, even back in the galley, up and down the main aisle... never an issue. I think I should carry my ID next time
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Hmmm, I have been taking pictures on UNITED planes for years, in full view of the crew, even back in the galley, up and down the main aisle... never an issue. I think I should carry my ID next time
    Terrorist!

I am not denying I terrorize my fellow pax with my D3 + 70-200mm f/2.8 ... on the last flight aboard UA from EWR to LAS, I take out my camera and the couple next to me almost gagged... I quickly put on my Used Car Salesman face and act and by the end of the flight, I had pics of them posing with the crew in the aisle!! So, a little diplomacy can go a long way...

Now, have them try and stop all pax with a camera phone from taking a shot!! All flights would be 90% empty!!!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

So does that mean the other 9% carry Nikons with a 70-200mm lens and the other 1% carry Canons with a 100-400mm lens?
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    My friend lives on UA flights and said he has taken pics in biz and FC with his iPhone and point and shoot and never had one issue. Could be someone needs some training.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Terrorist!
    Maybe I shouldn't have said that word - I hope Phil doesn't think I'm a threat...
    ;-)

UA's policy about photography is weird. It starts by saying you can't shoot other pax or crew. Then equipment. Then unless you have permission from UA can't shoot at all? Confusing.
    I can understand if you're taking too many photos of passengers or focusing too much at the cockpit door but that is a very vague policy....

''We implemented a photography policy several years ago and it published in our inflight magazine. We do allow photography but for reasons of service and security, our crew may need to restrict photography onboard and this policy supports their ability to do so.

So basically its up to the flight attendants discretion. But like I said earlier the guy screwed up with the words he used to explain what he was doing....
    Last edited by alberchico; 2013-02-20 at 07:37 PM.
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

My friend lives on UA flights and said he has taken pics in biz and FC with his iPhone and point and shoot and never had one issue. Could be someone needs some training.
    Maybe these UA flight attendants moonlight as FJC Security employees........NO PHOTOGRAPHY ALLOWED!!
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Program Coordinator
    Using the word terrorist, whether it was after 9/11 or not, was not a smart choice - even if used in a calm manner. That was a mistake. Still, I don't think the simple use of the word should be enough to get you kicked off the airplane.

I take pics on almost every flight I take too...and usually with my 70-200. The only time it's ever been a problem was when I was asked to turn it off as an electronic device. That being said, I rarely do cabin shots in flight because it generates attention. And frankly a shot of the interior isn't worth the potential headache I might get from a well-meaning pax who thinks I'm scoping the place out and reports me to the crew, or an FA who over-reacts.

A few years ago I was flying JFK-ATL on a DL 767-300ER. I managed to get upgraded and it was an international configured bird, so I was pretty stoked. This was right after I got my D90, so I decided to grab some shots of the BE cabin and then a few out my window of the engine & Terminal 3 when one of the FA's approached me saying it was policy not to allow any photography of the ramp or facilities at JFK and that I had to put the camera away. She said this was a JFK-only policy. I politely put the camera away, full well knowing she was full of $hit. But when you're onboard, they're in charge, and you certainly don't want to learn that the hard way getting kicked off the flight before it leaves or getting met by security when you land. I've learned over the years that when the FA says to put a camera away or turn something off, just do it and contest it later when you're on the ground and it doesn't matter anymore. Nothing is that important to argue.

I'll fully agree that his use of the word "terrorist" was not a smart move. In fact, I'm willing to bet that if he hadn't gone back to try to justify his actions to the FA, he probably would have been able to fly no problem. It doesn't excuse the FA's behavior at all, she clearly went over the top to get him kicked off the flight. There's a reason the airlines have the term HVC - it stands for High Value Customer - as in the customers you don't want to piss off because they're a good chunk of your revenue base.

I hope United properly addresses the situation for this gentlemen, it definitely sucks.
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by jerslice View Post
    Using the word terrorist, whether it was after 9/11 or not, was not a smart choice - even if used in a calm manner. That was a mistake. Still, I don't think the simple use of the word should be enough to get you kicked off the airplane
    Yea I spoke to my friend who flies for UA. She is going to keep her ears open but said that was an asinine thing to say. Still if his account is accurate not enough to get him booted.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

I am always taking pictures with my iPhone on any flight I take, any airport I end up in. I also do videos whenever I get the chance. Only once have I been called out on either, and the F/A was a gentleman about it, so I stopped. Other than that, most don't care, and this was totally uncalled for.