Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Storm Nemo

Winter Storm Nemo

Hate that name but what the heck!!
    Figured I'd start a thread so we can all keep in touch and report as this monster storm hits us!!
    Out here Eastern Nassau County (NY) walked my dogs )actually let themn out in the backyard) at 6AM and all quiet! Back to bed for a few more hours then woke up to see light snow!! As of now, 11:40AM its just a nice steady rain!!
    Oh how it would be nice if it just stayed that way!! We shall see!!
    BTW last night it was Sandymania as people lined up a gas stations again to fill up their tanks. Supermarkets I expected but not that!! Is that going to be the new thing now everytime I major
    storm is forecast?
    Stay safe, warm and dry everyone!!

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Hate that name but what the heck!!
    Figured I'd start a thread so we can all keep in touch and report as this monster storm hits us!!
    Out here Eastern Nassau County (NY) walked my dogs )actually let themn out in the backyard) at 6AM and all quiet! Back to bed for a few more hours then woke up to see light snow!! As of now, 11:40AM its just a nice steady rain!!
    Oh how it would be nice if it just stayed that way!! We shall see!!
    BTW last night it was Sandymania as people lined up a gas stations again to fill up their tanks. Supermarkets I expected but not that!! Is that going to be the new thing now everytime I major
    storm is forecast?
    Stay safe, warm and dry everyone!!
    I also hate the name - I actually hating naming storms period.

Anyway the conditions here in southwestern Suffolk are about the same as you described above. There was also a nice 20+ car wait for gas and I saw reports streaming in on twitter of gas shortages at some stations which led to fights.
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_falcon_51 View Post
    I also hate the name - I actually hating naming storms period.
    It's something the Weather Channel started last year with the Noreaster following Sandy. The National Weather Service doesn't use names for storms (other than hurricanes) and asked TWC not to name other storms, but it's a marketing thing with them.

If you go to the NWS site, you will not find references to "Nemo".
    Last edited by moose135; 2013-02-08 at 01:43 PM.

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    I hate the whole naming of winter storms idea. I hated it when the CT TV stations did it, and I hate it even more with TWC doing it. As a weather blogger I follow put it when the practice was announced, naming of storms should be reserved for governmental agencies because then the storm has that name everywhere. With this we're just getting stupid photoshopped pictures of an orange fish in a snowy scene.

Started snowing here in Yonkers just before 7, while at home in Dutchess it started a little after 11. Its a very slushy mix here right now as it cycles between snow and rain. Maybe an inch or so on the ground.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    BTW last night it was Sandymania as people lined up a gas stations again to fill up their tanks. Supermarkets I expected but not that!! Is that going to be the new thing now everytime I major storm is forecast?
    People need to just relax, yes there is a storm on the way but it is not the 1st time that we are going to see a big snow fall here in NY!! This morning heading to work I did not even think about that, needed gas in the truck and it took me almost an hour from 6:30 to drive around Queens looking for a gas station that was not out, to finally sit in line for about 35 min and fill up with Premium only since that was all that was left. The Media has allot to do with it in my opinion !
    Last edited by Roush6NY; 2013-02-08 at 02:15 PM.
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    It's something the Weather Channel started last year with the Noreaster following Sandy. The National Weather Service doesn't use names for storms (other than hurricanes) and asked TWC not to name other storms, but it's a marketing thing with them.
    Totally agree but I'll bet the On Air weather broadcasters cant stand it but since it came from the Corporate/Marketing suits they just have to go with it!!
    Well the rain is gone and its snowing pretty good here now (2PM)!! As long as I keep power I'm good to go!

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post

If you go to the NWS site, you will not find references to "Nemo".
    Yeah, that is the whole reason why I dislike it. It is a marketing hype machine for TWC, and even my favorite weather website - Intellicast is tainted now.

I also have a problem when I see FEMA or Gov. Cuomo tweeting these names because I believe they should use information directly from the NWS.

Anyway, stay safe everyone!
    http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

The bad stuff is coming later tonight... still should be no worse than the worst we've had. Boston may be different!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

I really hate the names, too, BUT I will say that sometimes people DO need to be aware of weather that they often let slip by....naming might not be so bad for SOME storms, but not all. Also keep in mind that TWC has a tendency to overhype minor weather and extended the areas of their radar wx to make it look scarier...it's irresponsible.

Shame on politicians for using the term as well. Whoever came up with this at TWC is laughing all the way to the bank.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Now we have Thunder Snow going on here on Long Island!! A few buddies on FB reported it out in Suffolk and my son just came in and said he saw lightning also!!

Flight back home to JFK was cancelled last night so I am stuck in LA getting some extra spotting in. Beats shoveling snow!
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

The Day After!! What a mess!! We got about a 15 inches or so here in Plainview!! Our east in Suffolk its much worse!! Totals up to 32 inches out there!! LIE has been closed since last night and there are cars abandoned everywhere on the LIE, Rt 347 and Rt 25!! I'm hearing that they are mobilizing the ANG to help clear those cars and check to see if anyone still in the cars!! Thats crazy!! Wide variations on totals throughout LI and into NYC!! South shore got less than north shore!!
    Next two days will be cold and icy but Monday temps up to 47 though with rain!! That could be a real mess!! Temps in 40s rest of week!!

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Just off Rte 110. 110 has been showing blacktop since 1300 but mall and businesses are closed. Enjoying a snowday with the family!
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Beautiful day here in Forest Hills, Queens. Had fun throwing snow balls with the wife.