Thread: New vs Used Equipment

New vs Used Equipment

I am not sure if this has been discussed before, but what are peoples opinions on buying new equipment from a reputable store vs buying used equipement from a reputable store, specifically glass.

Thank you
    Matt

I have bought both a used body and used glass and not had any issues. I bought a used Canon 50D from Adorama and it works perfectly fine. I also bought two used pieces of glass from a reputable lens rental outfit and have absolutely no complaints. The only time I don't buy used gear is from ebay. I like to either be able to see it before I purchase, or have the ability to have a hassel free return.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

I bought both my 30D and 55-250 lens used off KEH. I have not had one issue with either piece of equipment. I agree with Steve that ebay may be more of a risk, and I also like to know that there is an easy way to return something in case I don't like it or there is another problem with it. What really sold me on KEH, besides their low prices, was their hassle free return policy and 6 month warranty on all products.

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    I'm in the same boat right now, debating between purchasing a used Canon 100-400 and a new Sigma 120-400. Right now its looking like the used Canon is $200-$300 more than the new Sigma from reputable sources. I've been reading a lot of reviews over the past several days, and right now I seem to be giving the edge to the Sigma as the build and optical qualities of both seem to be very close with the Canon leading slightly in some areas and the Sigma leading slightly in others. I still plan on trying both out in person.

Some of the ebay prices look real good, but descriptions aside, without putting my hands on it first, I just don't see it being worth the risk of getting damaged goods. I might consider something more local like Craigslist where you can actually take a look at it before throwing your money down.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

My 14-24mm f/2.8 and 24-70mm f/2.8 as well as the Nikon D3 were bought second hand from two separate persons... Not a single issue to date. D3 had a lot of shutter actuations so I got it really cheap. Knowing that the shutter has a 250K life I knew what would be a good price and what I could expect. Did all three transactions via Craigslist which allowed me to meet with the seller and check out the equipment.

If buying on-line used, ONLY suggest KEH or B&H or other reputable dealers! I would only go with eBay sellers with a good reputation and certainly get all the checks met to meet the basics for PayPal and eBay protections...
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Cars and Camera Equipment, I won't buy used. Just a personal thing, though, I'm sure used gear is reliable if it's taken care of and you inspect before buying.

TIS
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

I have a used Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6L that I got on eBay and haven't had any issues with it. I personally don't have a problem buying used lenses on eBay if the seller is reputable and has a reasonable return policy, but I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a used body on eBay.

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    I've purchased used glass from a local camera store in the past with no issues as I was able to inspect it prior to purchase. You could also try Cannon's site for refurbished lenses. The good thing with those is that they are usually thoroughly inspected to correct any issues before leaving the warehouse ( at least they are supposed to be). I personally prefer new, but saving some cash is always nice.

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    On the opposite side of the spectrum, I've sold all of my used lenses on Ebay, with the condition being "as is" without any issues. Granted, I take very good care of my equipment, so I didn't expect any issues.

I bought my 100-400 and my 24-105 for my Canon, both used. I bought them from Amazon. I have zero issues with either lens and they both work great. I think you need to either shop from a store with a good return policy or buy in person to fully examine the product.
    Timothy LaBranche

See my photos on:
    Timothy LaBranche.com
    Flickr
    JetPhotos.net

I bought my D70s body used off ebay and it was in great condition! Digital cameras obsolete so fast now it almost makes more sense to buy used