Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AA/US post merger fleet

AA/US post merger fleet

If this merger finally goes through which aircraft should be dropped from the combine fleets / and order books.

Looking at the US fleet I'd drop the B737-300 & 400's and cxl the orders for the A350, keep the B757s and the B767 for a few more years, as well and the A320 family. and the A330's can be used to add capacity to Europe etc.

Thoughts?
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

US has already parked their 733s and is in the process of parking the 734s. It'll also be interesting to see how the 787 situation pans out.
    Adam Sheinhaus

So...with American's new livery, we can count on the US' paint going away? Thought I read something a while ago that the two brands would coexist but, isn't that against the whole idea of a merger?

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    So...with American's new livery, we can count on the US' paint going away? Thought I read something a while ago that the two brands would coexist but, isn't that against the whole idea of a merger?
    If I had to hazard a guess, they will coexist for a while (by necessity since mergers can take years to fully come together) and slowly they will come together. In all likelihood, the combined fleet will start to get repainted in the livery of a combined airline and stickers will be used to denote which airline is operating it if it varies from what the paint says. Once a single operating certificate is received, stickers will again be used on any unpainted aircraft from the livery of the airline that is going away (likely US). This is basically what WN has done with the FL aircraft.

As for the new livery, I would tend to think that the "new" American livery goes away or is at least modified somewhat. That could potentially make for some great spotting opportunities. I think it is probable that US has been working on a new livery for a combined airline for several months. After all, there are hints of behind the scenes work having been done by US for almost a year now including them buying several domain names that had a combination of the 2 carriers. In all likelihood, any American influence on the new livery would probably be in the form of the classic livery. Given US's love of painting aircraft in the liveries of acquired airlines, I wonder how far that will go. Will we see a TWA Retro Jet?
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by mldoc View Post
    Will we see a TWA Retro Jet?
    Don't you tease like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Ari707 View Post
    If this merger finally goes through which aircraft should be dropped from the combine fleets / and order books.

Looking at the US fleet I'd drop the B737-300 & 400's and cxl the orders for the A350, keep the B757s and the B767 for a few more years, as well and the A320 family. and the A330's can be used to add capacity to Europe etc.

Thoughts?
    I really don't see them cancelling much in the way of orders. I would think that the American order book is safe since Boeing holds a seat on the very powerful unsecured creditors committee. And I would say the same for both airlines Airbus order books given the US relationship with Airbus. Also, the MOU already negotiated with both airlines pilot groups specified that AA pilots will fly all current and ordered AA aircraft and US pilots will fly all current and ordered US aircraft. I really don't think that Doug Parker will do anything that might tick off one of the pilot groups such as cancel orders. His stated goal is for this merger to be as seamless as possible with regards to labor. It is his one chance to rectify the issues currently plaguing US with regards to its pilots, which really were no fault of management.

Personally, I see mostly the status quo of the 737 Classics and MD80s (and soon 767-200s and some 757-200s) being retired and replaced by new Boeing and Airbus aircraft. The large numbers of orders on the books by both airlines may partially be used to reduce the average fleet age, however a good amount of expansion should be expected. More at risk are the options that are currently held by both airlines.
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Will we see a TWA Retro Jet?
    AA have done all they can to eliminate the memory of TWA, I doubt they would paint a retro jet.

.....As for the new livery, I would tend to think that the "new" American livery goes away or is at least modified somewhat. ......

I disagree....I think that the new American livery was designed with the merger in mind and will stay as the post merger paint scheme.

And it would definitely be nice to see a retro TWA livery get painted on one of those birds....with the current fleet, I would say that if that were to happen that they should do it on an MD-80.....but knowing US Scareways, they would drop the ball yet again and paint it on a Scarebus....
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Quote Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
    I disagree....I think that the new American livery was designed with the merger in mind and will stay as the post merger paint scheme.
    I'm only going on what has been publicly stated, but AA insists that the new livery was designed solely by them and US was only informed that it was changing the night before as a "courtesy" in a call between Horton and Parker.

Horton also said US Airways had no input into the rebranding and didn’t get an advance look at it.
    “We are competitors today, so we didn’t think it appropriate to discuss it with them,” Horton said. “I will tell you that on my drive home last night [Wednesday], I called my good friend Doug Parker and informed him of what we were doing as a courtesy. So I did do that, and we had a very nice chat.”
    There is always a chance that it stays on post-merger, though given the lukewarm response I would not be surprised to see it at least tweaked if not outright replaced. I could see the fuselage design staying fairly close to the new livery while the tail gets a US Airways-flavored makeover.
    Last edited by Landing Lights; 2013-02-08 at 01:52 PM.
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

I completely understand that you are going based on what was publicly stated. But they would not come out and publicly state that USAirways had a hand in it since that would surely announce that there would in fact be a merger. COmpanies hide small details like that all the time in the months and weeks leading up to huge announcements like this could potentially be.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

I was never a big fan of the current US Airways livery however I was thrilled to see every once-in-a-while a retro jet such as Smiley Jack that appears at Kids Day every Sept. Do you think she'll return this year? I figure the merger will take time. Remember when US Airways merged with America West; all those B757s in special liveries were re-painted or retired. Remember the PHX Suns, State of AZ, AZ Cardinals, and more? US Airways even kept the callsign of "Cactus" and retained the office in Tempe. I visited this office years ago and received lovely color photos of their special liveries. Friendly airline now gone. I can think of no other industry that changes so often as the US airline industry; sadly most of the changes are losses and not gains.

I completely understand that you are going based on what was publicly stated. But they would not come out and publicly state that USAirways had a hand in it since that would surely announce that there would in fact be a merger. COmpanies hide small details like that all the time in the months and weeks leading up to huge announcements like this could potentially be.
    I agree with you that details get hidden. Look at how long they hid the details of the "new American" rebranding. supposedly 1-2 years!. However I just don't see why they would announce a major rebranding effort prior to a merger. It is also worth mentioning that AA hasn't exactly been the most willing of participants in this merger. They are really being pushed into it by the UCC who sees it as the better plan for their interests moving forward.
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Eventually AA will be the name of the airline. It will be several months before it is one airline. I am worrying about my flying privileges on US after a combined airline. AA doesn't play nice with other airlines.
    Timothy LaBranche

See my photos on:
    Timothy LaBranche.com
    Flickr
    JetPhotos.net

Quote Originally Posted by tlabranche View Post
    Eventually AA will be the name of the airline. It will be several months before it is one airline. I am worrying about my flying privileges on US after a combined airline. AA doesn't play nice with other airlines.
    I thought B6 had an agreement/pseudo partnership with AA....
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

I thought B6 had an agreement/pseudo partnership with AA....
    We have a interline/codeshare with AA. But that doesn't extend to pass travel for employees. Currently I can fly anywhere US serves for free or just taxes if it is international. We in turn extend the same courtesy to their employees in Houston.
    Timothy LaBranche

See my photos on:
    Timothy LaBranche.com
    Flickr
    JetPhotos.net