Thread: JT707 Grounded?

JT707 Grounded?

I was told that the aircraft may not be flight worthy anymore and may never fly again. Does anyone have better info? -Fred

what a shame
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Word on the street is that it requires a new vertical stabilizer spar, which needs to be manufactured, since none are available. Once it gets that, it may indeed fly again.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    Word on the street is that it requires a new vertical stabilizer spar, which needs to be manufactured, since none are available. Once it gets that, it may indeed fly again.
    I seem to remember a healthy 707 at Opa-locka and the Congolese one being healthy too... since money is no object, I don't see a problem..
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    I seem to remember a healthy 707 at Opa-locka and the Congolese one being healthy too... since money is no object, I don't see a problem..
    Well, the Congo is gone, and N88ZL is not healthy (although it looks okay from the outside). I have no idea if -100s have identical vertical stabs as -300s, but N88ZL is a -300. But yeah, Travolta should have paid to "borrow" the part from the Congolese, and let it sit in MIA some more to get a new one :)
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

I've heard from the lads in Miami that the spars for the -100 and -300 are different. The spars for the 300 are stlll made/stocked somewhere but the 100's are not. There has to be one out there somewhere I'd hate to see this one carved up.
    Gene Delaney

I have it from a reliable source that the first set of fixtures that arrived did not fit correctly - they have been sent back to the manufacturer for re-work and will be returned soon, if not have arrived already - N707JT will fly again - maybe in as short a time as a month.
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

That is Great news.....Thanks
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

A moot point since it will return to the air now but I wonder- I think the -100's were about the same size as the 720, maybe even a bit shorter- I think it was Honeywell that retired the last 720 last year? Maybe it's sitting in a desert somewhere, not scrapped yet. Future parts store, maybe

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawrence View Post
    I have it from a reliable source that the first set of fixtures that arrived did not fit correctly - they have been sent back to the manufacturer for re-work and will be returned soon, if not have arrived already - N707JT will fly again - maybe in as short a time as a month.
    That's good news Mark
    Gene Delaney

It must take allot to keep that tail so sexy

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    A moot point since it will return to the air now but I wonder- I think the -100's were about the same size as the 720, maybe even a bit shorter- I think it was Honeywell that retired the last 720 last year? Maybe it's sitting in a desert somewhere, not scrapped yet. Future parts store, maybe
    I believe the one you are referring to was the 720 owned by Pratt & Whitney Canada..and I beleive it is sitting out at Mojave..
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
    I believe the one you are referring to was the 720 owned by Pratt & Whitney Canada..and I beleive it is sitting out at Mojave..
    N720H was Honeywells. They broke it up at PHX in June of 2008. It's soda cans now unfortunately.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    I'm surprised Qantas didn't toss JT the keys to the flying forehead for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
    I missed this one by a couple of days when I was in Montreal, but it appears she has retired in colder climates than Mojave..
    "Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Pratt & Whitney Canada's trusty Boeing 720B Flying Test Bed (FTB1), dubbed "Red" because of its hallmark red and white livery, ceremoniously tipped its wings during low-pass flybys over St-Hubert, Longueuil and Mirabel on May 9. The aircraft then made its way to a well-deserved retirement, and eventual permanent display, at the National Air Force Museum of Canada in Trenton, Ontario. "

Back on topic, where is JT's 707 sitting?
    Jeremy in Minnesota

My pictures on jp.net