Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2-3-13 JFK T5 .. YES AGAIN

2-3-13 JFK T5 .. YES AGAIN

I know this whole T5 issue is getting old already but this afternoon it really got me heated and it takes allot to get me to that level as the people that know me can tell you that.

Just sitting in my truck, relaxing and taking a shot here and there. The security truck came up a few times and left right away. At one point I see the truck come up and park directly in front of me, nose to nose, took about 10 minutes till I see a young female get out and approach my car. I gave her a very friendly wave and said hello with a big smile. She goes I saw you taking pictures before, I said YES, I was. You are not allowed to take photos on this property, you need a permit for that.

me: Sorry, but I'am pretty sure I do not need a permit to be up here. No, you need a permit, if you are taking photos in NYC, thats fine, no permit needed, but here is a different story.

me: Look, I do not want any problems, I know you are doing your job and i respect you 100% but I do not see any official rules or signes here that does not alow me to take photos of the planes. (for some reason the whole time she has a smirk on her face ). Now she gets on the radio and goes I have someone up here that is taking photos.

me: Would you like me to leave ? No amswer. She goes, do you want me to get port up here to deal with this and explain to you?

me: Again, as I said before I'm not looking to cause problems just telling you what I know. ( now here is where I almost lost my SHHIT real bad but again kept my cool). She has the nerve to say, LOOK, YOU SEEM TO SPEAK FLUENT ENGLISH WITH NO ACCENT SO I AM PRETTY SURE YOU ARE UNDERSTANDING EVERYTHING I HAVE SAID TO YOU. Excuse me I replied? YES, I'M AN AMERICAN CITIZEN AND I DID UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN SAYING.

I am soooo F %$#^%$# ng pissed at this point and can not believe she even said something like this to me so I just said to my self to leave.

me: I am asking you again, would you like me to leave ????? I will. she is just shaking her damn head and walks back to her truck. so I just left.

Sorry, this was about an hour and half ago and I am still boiling over this, this girl looked liked she was 20 years old and pretty much wanted to say anything that came to her head. I was very very close to having her call port and seeing what they were going to say to me but I did not want to take it to that level.

Phil, I know you are trying everything in your power to help us with this matter and I am sorry to be bitching about it on here again, but I have just had it, I was already having a pretty bad day with other reasons in my life and I just wanted to get away and go to the only place that I knew can calm me down and put a smile on my face by doing what I love the most, guess that did not turn out the way I wanted to.
    Last edited by Roush6NY; 2013-02-03 at 09:02 PM.
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

Was there yesterday. I've never been questioned there but I find the atmosphere so not welcoming that I only stay 15 minutes every time. Yesterday, a security truck came within 5 minutes, did not stop but did notice I was there. I did not bother wait for a second visit and left.

Keeping our cool is the single most important thing to do, no matter how hard it is. If I were in your shoes right now Kaz (whose photography I absolutely love), given that you have NO fun up there at the moment, I would just avoid that location for a while. Sure, it might prove them right but you're not having fun and are getting frustrated. I wouldn't want to push my love for the hobby to the point of getting in trouble with them.

Not saying you did anything wrong Kaz, and that's only -my- opinion. Feel free to disagree!

Take care bud.

Sorry to hear that, Kaz :( Was it the same security girl who was up there taking pics herself (I think of the sunset behind the city), when a few of us were up there?
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Kaz,

I am SURE you misunderstood her meaning of understanding English. She was NOT referring to you as being foreign in the sense of you look like a terrorist... I am sure she was saying it as implying for you not to play dumb with her that you somehow didn't understand her.

Again, I AM ON YOUR SIDE guys, but by all means, this is really getting out of hand. I spent the ENTIRE afternoon (about 5 hours worth) last Sat with a friend from Slovakia and we took pics of EVERY plane, and not a single incident. We stayed in our car when security drove by and were prepared to leave at the first sign we would be asked to.

Please be aware that the parking facility can ask you to leave at any time. I believe it is written in the signs when you enter and perhaps even on the ticket you take when entering... Sorry Kaz that you had a bad encounter... I suggest next time if you want to stand your ground, to NOT interact with the officer... simply say nothing, the more you say the worse it will be for you... all of it will be used against you (you know the routine)

Allow them to call a real Police Officer and then you can ask if you are being arrested and for what and take it from there... If you are within your right(s) you should not worry, all will end on your side.

problem is most of us have no time or desire to "test" the system ... all these incidents will do is encourage The Port to use these situations as a way to DENY us our right to photograph, as close as we are I am afraid it may be for naught...

Recently our neighborhood petitioned the city for ONE DAY alternate side of the street parking for Street Cleaning (it was a 4 day a week deal before) ... The city said it would consider it if we kept our streets clean, on their own, for a month. We had NO street cleaning for one whole month, no street sweepers. If the streets remained clean, we could earn our one day a week cleaning.

It was tough but we made it. I was worried... parts of our neighborhood are through streets from other parts to other neighborhoods and frequently people using the public parks pass on through and litter on our streets. We all banded together and made sure nothing like that kept us from our goal.

I hope we can all work together to keep this location from going "hot" and a negative outcome result.

Cheers!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Manny, I am with you 100% as well. I have spent countless days up there by my self and with others and not a word was said. I can not begin to count how many times I have been there alone in the car just as you stated for hours and hours till the day was over( and shot every single plane ) and only ONCE I was just asked to leave and I took right off.

This one today, did not ONCE ask me to leave, I was the one that was asking if "you like me to leave" .. I am not the type to start for no reason to get a rise out of security or play hard ball. She kept trying to push the issue that a permit is needed up here and the rest of the mess that was coming out of her mouth, that is why im pissed, if I was asked to leave, I would have not questioned it once and BTW I was in the car the whole time, unless I got out to take a shot and the security car made their rounds 3 times before this happend and did not even stop for a split sec to even look towards my truck.
    Last edited by Roush6NY; 2013-02-03 at 09:43 PM.
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

I know Kaz... what my point mainly is, don't give them a reason... You should have just said, yep, thank you, see ya! and just left... but I can;t say I wouldn't have acted like a bigger ass myself easy for me to be a Monday Morning QB!
    Manny Gonzalez

Oh man Kaz .... I feel terrible with what you had to deal with and go through. Kaz when she mentioned the permit thing, I would have asked her a few more questions. I honestly believe they were told to deter individuals from taking photos but if push comes to shove really have no legal basis (just my honest opinion). I recall an incident up T5 last year where there were a few of us shooting. Long story short ..... The security individual stated he would call the cops at which point I recall stating "Please do". No cops ever showed up as the security individual left with his tail between his legs as we kept shooting. A

Here's another .... The tower called! Right! Like they have time to personally call you Mr Security and take there attention away from keeping their eyes on the aircrafts.

Kaz .... You can ride with me next time I go to T5. Just make sure you bring your camping chair and a book, and we'll post a sign on the car " FREE Spottiing Lessons" Here

Kaz ..... Don't loose sleep over it brother! Tomorrow is another day.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    Oh man Kaz .... I feel terrible with what you had to deal with and go through. Kaz when she mentioned the permit thing, I would have asked her a few more questions. I honestly believe they were told to deter individuals from taking photos but if push comes to shove really have no legal basis (just my honest opinion). I recall an incident up T5 last year where there were a few of us shooting. Long story short ..... The security individual stated he would call the cops at which point I recall stating "Please do". No cops ever showed up as the security individual left with his tail between his legs as we kept shooting. A

Here's another .... The tower called! Right! Like they have time to personally call you Mr Security and take there attention away from keeping their eyes on the aircrafts.

Kaz .... You can ride with me next time I go to T5. Just make sure you bring your camping chair and a book, and we'll post a sign on the car " FREE Spottiing Lessons" Here

Kaz ..... Don't loose sleep over it brother! Tomorrow is another day.
    That was a great encounter Mark. Show me the policy!
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

My feeling is when you are there alone then you may appear to be suspicious but in numbers it doesn't appear to be that way. I recall when a bunch of us where up there with Phil, Mario, etc. and security did not do a thing or say a word. Go figure!

Nick ..... I still haven't seen their policy!
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Please be aware that the parking facility can ask you to leave at any time. I believe it is written in the signs when you enter and perhaps even on the ticket you take when entering...
    A little off topic here so excuse my intrusion but.......
    Speaking of tickets what are the rates for that facility? Do they have long-term also? I've been using SmartPark for the last few years now and am quite satisfied with there service but just curious!!

5 hours was $26.00 1 is $6 or $9 I believe depends on time of day... It is EXPENSIVE... Long Term parking is over by Lefferts Blvd. A lot cheaper... but not as cheap as off-airport parking!
    Manny Gonzalez

5 hours was $26.00 1 is $6 or $9 I believe depends on time of day... It is EXPENSIVE...
    Sure is ........ Id love to pull up my EZpass history and see what everything has added it up to till today !
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

Oh no, I do NOT want to know... it will be at least a lens worth
    Manny Gonzalez

5 hours was $26.00 1 is $6 or $9 I believe depends on time of day... It is EXPENSIVE... Long Term parking is over by Lefferts Blvd. A lot cheaper... but not as cheap as off-airport parking!
    Thanks. We did the Long Term once but it was a pain getting a space, dragging luggage to the Airtrain then to the Terminal yadda yadda!! SmartPark is so much better!!

Has there been any type of thievery/larceny in the facility? That is the security guards primary concern, to protect the customers assets!! You guys being up there probably makes them nervous!! Some of the guards
    know how to handle it, others dont!! I mean these guards arent well trained LE officers so just have patience with dealing with them as hard as it might be. I do believe if there is any type of criminal activity with the cars you can probably kiss that location goodbye!! Good luck guys!!