Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WANTED: JFK Spotting Helicopter Info

Cool WANTED: JFK Spotting Helicopter Info

Hello...

I just came back from a successful helicopter spotting trip over LAX. Do you know of
    what companies perform this over JFK?

Thank you,

Jeff

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Sam Chui doesn't post here.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinMass View Post
    Hello...

I just came back from a successful helicopter spotting trip over LAX. Do you know of
    what companies perform this over JFK?
    Thank you,
    Jeff
    Unless you have the $$$$$$$ to charter a helicopter forget about it!! And even then I dont see you getting very close to JFK to
    hover and spot!! Exactly how did you do the spotting at LAX?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Unless you have the $$$$$$$ to charter a helicopter forget about it!! And even then I dont see you getting very close to JFK to
    hover and spot!! Exactly how did you do the spotting at LAX?
    The LA VFR flyways go right over the top of LAX.

It surprises a lot of people, but makes sense when you think about it, but the safest place to pass an airport is right over the top. Except for F-15s, planes don't go straight up on departure.

I fly in the Bay Area, and pass over the top of SFO/OAK/SJC all the time.

JFK likes to have VFR transitions go along the shoreline, but still probably decent for spotting.

Quote Originally Posted by clear_prop View Post
    JFK likes to have VFR transitions go along the shoreline, but still probably decent for spotting.
    Mmmmm not so sure!! Those VFR transitions along the Rockaways usually dont fly high enough to get good looks!!
    He could charter the copter, have it land at the General Aviation Terminal then take right off!!

I think Manny had said he had recently looked into it and the price was enormous, like over a grand.

I went with Sam the last time he was here and we got turned away by JFK atthe very last moment because of heavier than usual traffic. Sam eventually made it a few days later with Art...

Anyway, LAX gives SPECIAL zones and official access to these to a few Helicopter operators... that's why you see it so much.. it is also inexpensive as little as $300 per hour on a Robinson R22.

NYC JFK ALSO allows overflights at a certain altitude.. happens ALL DAY LONG when you're out there... it is NOT shoreline only although if you ARE below TCA, you must keep it shoreline or track routing etc.

Anyway, for the info. The cheapest you will find are operators working out of Linden Airport near EWR. Lowest cost we had was about $1500 per hour, minimum TWO hours on a Robinson R44. Takes about :30 to get to JFK and another :30 to get back giving you 1:00 on station. With JFK clearance ahead of time, it is doable and you can have decent spotting locations actually. Between the 31s and southeast of the 22s or Northwest of the 22s.

In my own research, cheapest of the tour operators in Manhattan, $3,000 to $5,000 per hour, depending on day and hour... (OUCH) and there are NONE operating from JFK or LGA... there is I think ONE company operating out of TEB... most others, including most News Copters, all out of Linden!

HPN may be another option but I do not think they have any helo operators there.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post

NYC JFK ALSO allows overflights at a certain altitude.. happens ALL DAY LONG when you're out there... it is NOT shoreline only although if you ARE below TCA, you must keep it shoreline or track routing
    I understand there are overflights but that is just what they are, overflights, no standing or stopping , keep moving , nothing to see here folks!! Like the Throggs Neck Bridge Routing over LGA E/W bound!!
    Love my helos but not sure I'd want to sit hovering in an R44 for an hour over anywhere!!

Join a helicopter forum for the NYC area and find a pilot looking to build hours. Gonna be a lot cheaper than 1,500 an hour.

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    It surprises a lot of people, but makes sense when you think about it, but the safest place to pass an airport is right over the top. Except for F-15s, planes don't go straight up on departure.
    The standard VFR transition from MMU/SMQ to points east was directly over EWR. Call up the Tower to coordinate, and they'll send your right on through. Even had two separate waypoints programmed in the LORAN, EWR04 and EWR22. IAD has helicopters overflying midfield also, often UH-1s heading from DC out to a <ahem> location up in the Blue Ridge.

Silly, you forget about the A346 What's the old saying? It uses ground effect and the curvature of the Earth?
    Manny Gonzalez

Vincennes, Indiana, United States, 109477929070449, Vincennes, Indiana
    I looked into it too...and i completely agree with manny...they charge extra 250 just to remove the doors...it it totally not worth it if the prices are going to be over $ 500 for an hour....
    Spotting Deprived Spotter...Need some spotting....

Look into renting a fixed wing. They fly slow enough to get decent pics and are much cheaper than fling wing. The windows on a Cessna 172 can be opened in flight, and if you remove one screw, can be opened completely flush with the bottom of the wing.

This is a pic with my crappy P&S camera from a 172 at 3500ft passing SFO:

"Traffic restricted below you, a heavy 747"

Thanks for all the input. If you've ever been in a helicopter over aircraft you will know what I mean. It's an AWESOME experience!
    Next up ATL.

Manny Gonzalez