Thread: Test flights with the 787.

Test flights with the 787.

Hi all,

My question is, can Boeing continue to do test flights with the 787 during the grounding IF they use the "experimental" tag on them?

Thanks,

Gene
    Gene Delaney

Absolutely. They were flying it before it received FAA certification.

I think the "test flights" you are speaking of are the ones used toward getting that certification. Since they have been approved and are in normal production, the only "test" flights are the ones that are going to be delivered, which I think is it a different type of "test" and cannot use the experimental callsign.

Maybe someone near Boeing can tell us if any 787s have been flying?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    I think the "test flights" you are speaking of are the ones used toward getting that certification. Since they have been approved and are in normal production, the only "test" flights are the ones that are going to be delivered, which I think is it a different type of "test" and cannot use the experimental callsign.

I doubt any have left the ground. The battery issue is something I would think only needs to be tested statically. I think we all know what happens if a huge fire breaks out in flight. Not to mention if they were on a test flight and something went really wrong it could mean the demise of the program for a long time if it hit the media. They better get a handle on this fast or they have major issues.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Program Coordinator
    Not since the FAA grounding, no.

Since they have been approved and are in normal production, the only "test" flights are the ones that are going to be delivered, which I think is it a different type of "test" and cannot use the experimental callsign.
    The distinction on experimental status is true...but Boeing continues to fly their test aircraft for additional program work. It may not contribute directly to certification, but the 'testing' still continues. They actually sent out one of their birds the day before the grounding.

I heard days ago that Boeing was trying to get an exemption for test flights, but so far that doesn't seem to have happened.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9