Thread: Saw these on the way to the Grand Canyon (lots of images)

Saw these on the way to the Grand Canyon (lots of images)

On the way to the Grand Canyon we passed this small plane museum with some pretty cool displays. I was going to go in, but we were still about an hour away from the canyon and couldnt stop for too long. Anyway, I got these pictures, and with the exception of the Blue Angel, I am not sure what types of planes these are. Some info would be greatly appreciated. Two things to note 1) The person working at the museum said all of these planes are still operable and 2) I dont do photography too well and have your basic point and shoot. With that said .. enjoy

I don't think I could have done any better! Great catches- love the Connie, I think the Blue Angel is a Grumman F9F Panther? Anyone else know?

William, it is an Grumman F11F-1 Tiger
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Manny is correct on the F11F. The Pacific Air Lines (N636EX) bird is a Martin 4-0-4. The silver USAF aircraft is a Lockheed C-121 / Constellation. The Western (N240HH) is a Convair CV-240. Nice stuff! I'm always amazed when I stumble across a little museum like this, always such interesting things hidden away.

Thanks moose! I wish I had time to go in, but I am glad I stopped and got something! Do you think the Western and Pacific are actual planes that belonged to the airlines or just a plane painted in airline colors? I know it may be hard to tell without an actual serial #, but just wanted to get your thoughts.

According to the photographer's comments here the Convair CV240 was originally delivered to Western Airlines in 1948. It saw a number of operators over the years before ending up with the museum. I didn't find anything on the Martin. I didn't realize it at first, but the museum is actually a facility of the Planes of Fame museum in Chino, CA. They list the aircraft on their site, but don't really provide individual histories of the specific airframes.

ETA: I should use the correct N-number when searching...

From this article the Martin 4-0-4 was built in 1952 and delivered to TWA. It saw use by several private operators after that, but it appears it never flew in Pacific Air Lines markings.
    Last edited by moose135; 2013-01-22 at 01:27 PM.

Great info Moose! I saw the other thread about the Planes of Fame, but didnt realize they were related.