Thread: NASCAR Preseason Testing at Charlotte

NASCAR Preseason Testing at Charlotte

One of the things I like about Charlotte, in addition to being able to catch every US airframe at KCLT, is we are in the middle of NASCAR Country. It is literally 3.6 miles (straight-line) from my place to the Charlotte Motor Speedway, about 4.5 miles by car, and most of the race team shops are within an hour drive. This past week, NASCAR held a special preseason test session at Charlotte, as they introduce new body styles for the 2013 season. The test was scheduled for Thursday and Friday - it rained all day Thursday, and got down below freezing overnight, so Friday's session was delayed while ice melted and they dried the track. I had talked the boss into a vacation day, and I headed up to the speedway once I heard they had cars on the track.

Charlotte is a 1.5 mile speedway, somewhat smaller than what I'm used to at Pocono, so even the back stretch is not that far off. They had the main grandstand open, and you could wander around just about anywhere in it. I read one estimate that about 2K people came out for the test, but that had to be the total number who came through the gate at any time during the day - I don't think I saw more than a few hundred during the times I was there. Of course, it was a work day, the session didn't get started until after Noon, and it was about 40 degrees out...

Reigning Sprint Cup champion Brad Keselowski in his new Ford Fusion.

Tony Stewart

Dale Earnhardt, Jr. Since this is a test session, you will see many cars in primer or partial paint schemes, although all do carry car numbers for identification.

Chevy from Tommy Baldwin Racing. Team owner Baldwin is a Long Island native, and got his start working on his father's modified car. Baldwin Sr. was well known on the Modified Tour, beginning his career in 1964, and ran many times at Islip, Freeport, and Riverhead Raceways, with the number 7NY. He was killed in a race crash in 2004, and this year, as the number became available, Baldwin Jr. switched to it as a tribute to his father.

Because of the late start on Friday, and the fact that Charlotte has lights to race at night, the test session was extended to 7:30pm. After a quick run home for dinner and to download cards, I headed back up for a little bit of the action under the lights. While there might have been enough light to race with, it certainly wasn't conducive to good photography. These were all shot at 6400 ISO to be able to get an acceptable shutter speed, and cleaned up in Neat Image - a program which I've only used sparingly, so I'm not sure that I did the best job I could have, but I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.

The full gallery is located here: http://www.moose135photography.com/S...7616881_FF4ksc

Great shots Moose !! Glad you're enjoying living down in NASCAR country now
    Also, very nice to see the tribute Tommy Baldwin is doing for his late father with the 7NY too !!
    BTW, who was driving the 7NY in the preseason testing, Blaney?

Great set John!! Look forward to seeing the pictures from the All Star and the Pepsi 600 later in the year!!!!!

Edit: I have to say - I love the look of the Fusions - they just look a little meaner than the Chevy's...
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Thanks! Yes, Chris, Dave Blaney is driving for Tommy Baldwin again this year.

Holy smokes......what a awesome set and terrific light and exposure. Really appreciate these.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Great stuff, John! Looks like you had a good day!

Are you planning on coming up to PA for the races this year?

Yes, Chris, I should be at both Pocono races this summer.

Great set Moose! Love that. NIce seeing the 7NY out there as well. I didn't think they let the Sprint Cup guys run the alpha-numeric car numbers, just like they are not allowed to run three digit numbers.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

I don't know what Baldwin will actually run on the car during the season. I know he switched to the #7, but the NY may only be on during testing.