Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Brace Yourselves For American Airlines’ Imminent Rebranding

Maybe American should have went with the students from Hawaii

http://www.nycaviation.com/2013/01/a...on+Discussion)
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

OK all... I am dumb and naive and an amateur at Commercial Airline spotting and not much experience in all the great schemes ...

So, can we play a little game?

--What exactly is WRONG with the scheme. Please be as technical as possible, no gut feelings or whatever else has been said. Sayign you don't like it or it's ugly has already been said. Let's try and really technically explain why it is ugly to you or why it doesn't work aesthetically or artistically etc.

--Offer up a modification that could make the new design better. How would you improve it without a total re-design. Please use graphics ... if you're not good with Photoshop, please be as descriptive as possible but preferably, Photoshop to help us visualize

--Show us your totally new branding / design idea if you have one. What would you have done and why? Again, Photoshop or graphics please. Text explanations are hard to "imagine" unless very well described

I have already done a horrible hack job at visualizing what Oneworld could look like
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Program Coordinator
    Alright, here's what I don't like:

The tail has hard edges and well defind lines, which clash with the more rounded and swooshy front two thirds. The tail also stops short of wrapping around the fuselage, which to me excentuates the clash even more.

So, A) wrap the colors around the fuselage and B) consider tapering the flag into the body...or use the edge of the flag to make the eagle taper into the body.

Jeremy, I KNOW you're good with graphics... so play along if you can :-)

I just hope Fred is reading this and takes his skills to the task !
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    OK all... I am dumb and naive and an amateur at Commercial Airline spotting and not much experience in all the great schemes ...

So, can we play a little game?

--What exactly is WRONG with the scheme. Please be as technical as possible, no gut feelings or whatever else has been said. Sayign you don't like it or it's ugly has already been said. Let's try and really technically explain why it is ugly to you or why it doesn't work aesthetically or artistically etc.

--Offer up a modification that could make the new design better. How would you improve it without a total re-design. Please use graphics ... if you're not good with Photoshop, please be as descriptive as possible but preferably, Photoshop to help us visualize

--Show us your totally new branding / design idea if you have one. What would you have done and why? Again, Photoshop or graphics please. Text explanations are hard to "imagine" unless very well described

I have already done a horrible hack job at visualizing what Oneworld could look like
    Hi Manny- I said this earlier: "Would've been awesome to have a giant eagle on the tail swooping down with its talons extended like it was coming down for prey. Instead of the 'Cubana' design as Manny put it- that could have gone on the fuselage, behind the titles"

My photoshop skills are limited in this respect as I tend not to make major alterations to my images. If you or Fred want to take a crack at it and bring my idea to life, please feel free, I would love to see what it would look like. The Eagle would be stylized similar to Gulf Air's, in blue. Grey fuselage. Nice and thick red cheatline through the windows. "AMERICAN" in italicized blue block lettering on forward fuselage, flag design currently on the tail placed instead on rear fuselage.

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    I think it is worth pointing out that Futurebrand was also responsible for BA's current livery.

As for this one, I honestly don't think its that bad. The tail is definitely bold, though it does lack a certain amount of of the branding that has been applied to the front of the plane. Personally I would have worked the "eagle beak" into the line between the red and the blue (Sorry Manny, no PS skills to make that happen). I think it could potentially see an overhaul in a merger, especially given the similarities with the US livery.

That said, I think AA in general needed a drastic new look overall. The old livery was classic but dated, and honestly looking at an AA plane in the old livery makes me think more of the days of PA, TWA, Eastern, and Braniff then it does a modern airline. Bankruptcy has been all about making a "new American" and this definitely makes a step in the right direction. As we see more of their product get the new branding, I think the livery may end up fitting in better. And as somebody else mentioned, seeing a line of these tails parked at the terminal will be stunning.

As for the design being by committee, evidently that is how the silver color was picked. They flew an MD-80 into a smaller airport in Ft Worth and painted it 4 shades of silver with each one having 2 different mica flake options for a total of 8 swatches. Then they brought the executive team out and eventually matched the color with the silver of one of the SVP's cars.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Program Coordinator
    I KNOW you're good with graphics
    Sadly I'm not :-)

So I suck at photoshop, anyway, here goes with an attempt at descrption

I would have kept the grey fuse. since the silverbird deal is out of the question with the new planes.... I would have went with a navy blue eagle like that which already adorns the AA logo or the old AA circle logo with the eagle in it except that would span the entire verticle stab down onto the tail and forward onto the aft most fuse. I would have went with a similar blue color font on the fuse forward with the new AA logo perhaps. On the engines to match the tail I would have placed a match of the tail logo on each side of the nacelles. Lastly, for the birds with winglets, a red white and blue ribbon ripping through it to nod to the previous and timeless cheatline. The tail is the thing that really ruins it most for me, the AA logo needed to stay someplace in the identity as it is older than the now old colors of American.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    I did a little survey with our graphic designers and art directors today. I showed around the new AA livery. 8 out 10 designers loved it.
    Makes me think my disappointment is just because I'm too nostalgic about it and biased. By the way, several years ago we created the livery here
    at Landor for Song, the Delta offshoot.
    -Don B.

I 'll start the game Here is a poor attempt at some of the ideas I have heard...

Last edited by gonzalu; 2013-01-18 at 10:25 PM.
    Manny Gonzalez

I personally would have liked this. By the way, I DID NOT create this, just found it on google images and thought it was better than what American came up with.

Bravo Manny! Love both of those tails, LOVE em. And you satisfied the cheatline fanatic in me

What's the deal with the image right after that that was found on the internet? I actually like that tail design as well

Yeah I have seen that design a lot... I loved it and was hoping it was it... and thanks for the vote of confidence, William. I really thought I massacred it! lol
    Manny Gonzalez

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Manny, I also prefer your versions especially #1 to the abortion they came up with.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Kenny, I appreciate it, but mine I just can't get the tail to line up. Methinks they need a different logo / image than that of the old eagle. thanks ;-)
    Manny Gonzalez