Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading Camera

Upgrading Camera

Well it's time to upgrade the old XSi to something better. The budget is around $1,000, and I'm looking at the T4i and 60D. What are your thoughts?

Adam
    Adam Sheinhaus

If I was a Canon shooter I would go for the 60D, I played with it at best buy a few weeks ago and it seems like a nice camera

NO WAY, do the 7D with the canon loyalty program...
    http://nycaviation.com/forum/threads...oyalty+program

That was 2 years ago, you should be able to get a 7d MUCH cheaper by now
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I have been shooting with the 60D for the past 2 years and love it.

But of course as Fred said, if you can do the 7D than its a no brainer.
    Last edited by Roush6NY; 2013-01-14 at 10:30 PM.
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

Well last April I was going out to buy a replacement for my XS, and I had enough for the 7D but to me the flip out screen is worth the down grade espic if your going to be shooting in tight locations. So I say try the 60D I have it and love it.

I just called about my 30D which I'm looking to upgrade because it needs work...they said they had the 60D for $600 with my trade in, or the 7D for $1,000. That was mid last week.

Also, I was told that the ONLY reason they call it a "refurb" is because they have a 3 month warranty instead of the normal 1 year, or whatever it is. Otherwise the camera is new in the box. Food for thuoght!
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

This may help or make it impossible to decide. Also, as SOON AS you buy the 7D (if) a new one will be announced... guaranteed.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...tDir=ascending

I believe the T4i is the newest of the three...
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by Kris V View Post
    Well last April I was going out to buy a replacement for my XS, and I had enough for the 7D but to me the flip out screen is worth the down grade espic if your going to be shooting in tight locations. So I say try the 60D I have it and love it.
    The flip screen was not my choice. I wanted a fast shutter for aviation and HDR's. I too looked at the 60 but I liked all the additional upgrades that came with the 7d. Better focus, duel processors, weather sealed.... it was the main reasons. With the new firmware it just got better.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by threeholerglory View Post
    I just called about my 30D which I'm looking to upgrade because it needs work...they said they had the 60D for $600 with my trade in, or the 7D for $1,000. That was mid last week.

Also, I was told that the ONLY reason they call it a "refurb" is because they have a 3 month warranty instead of the normal 1 year, or whatever it is. Otherwise the camera is new in the box. Food for thuoght!

having bought a Canon Factory refurb, I can say that this is true...sometimes. They can also be cameras turned in like you would be doing, just brought back up to factory spec. My 50D was bought as a refurb, and visited Canon for servicing on no fewer than 4 occasions before it was ultimately in need of outright replacement (they just couldn't fix it). Not saying all Canon refurbs are lemons like mine was, but understand that there is a reason why they aren't called new, and why the warranty only lasts 3 months...

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    The flip screen was not my choice. I wanted a fast shutter for aviation and HDR's. I too looked at the 60 but I liked all the additional upgrades that came with the 7d. Better focus, duel processors, weather sealed.... it was the main reasons. With the new firmware it just got better.
    All those are fantastic pluses, but the question is now when the 7D Mark 2 comes out. The main thing I like on the 7D over 60D is the weather sealing it has, but then the idea is not to put the camera into really rough conditions.

Kris, the weather proofing (or resistance) is simple:

--Do you EVER think your camera will be exposed to even the slightest heavy thick fog or even a slight drizzle?

If the answer is yes, you're better off with the better wx sealing (or as opposed to none) Any drop of water makes it into any of the crevices and the electronic circuitry will eventually succumb to oxydation. Add to that any exposure to salt water and it cuts the time it affects the guts in half.

You will get stories of 1,000 people who have dropped their T4i in the ocean and had it live for 10 years no issues. I say those are really oddities... reality usually is YOUR camera is the one that will have an issue. WX sealing is a must in my opinion if you use your camera in all conditions. I have no choice as I can be asked to shoot a football game or soccer game and I have no choice... even if you have a rain cover, rain has a way to get to the camera :/
    Manny Gonzalez

Thanks for all of the responses, guys. I'm not going to have enough money to warrant the 7D (this was a deal with my dad--if I got 97th percentile on the ACT then he would get me a new camera). So I'm stuck between the 60D and T4i. I've heard they're pretty similar. If you could just pick one of the two, which would it be? Thanks again!
    Adam Sheinhaus

I am more of the quality of the shot so I would take the sensor since it is identical between the two, let go the fancy features of the 60D and take the T4i and invest the remainder of the money wisely in a lens you don't have (a macro, a fisheye, whatever) or a cheap/short trip to a new airport nearby
    Manny Gonzalez

Now that I'm looking at that chart Manny posted....other than how it feels in your hands, there appears to be little to no difference between the Rebel and the 60d. Strangely, they have the same number of focus points, and pretty much the same firing speed. And I forgot the 60d was the first advanced entry level body that was polycarb instead of metal and I remember reading a lot of people complaining about this. Further, the sensor in the Rebel, while having the same resolution, appears to have a more modern processor. So I agree with Manny, you should go for the Rebel so you have extra money to throw at a nice lens at some point. He does have a point about the weather sealing, but if you're only taking pictures for yourself then you'll probably do as most of us do and keep the thing indoors during crappy weather.

Then again, if I were to receive advance notice of an inbound Il-62(ahem) but the weather wasn't cooperating, I would sacrifice my D90 for that shot

The prices are nearly identical (10 dollar difference I believe). Do you both still go T4i?
    Adam Sheinhaus