Thread: Seattle Snow Day Guiness World Record Snowball fight

Program Coordinator

Seattle Snow Day Guiness World Record Snowball fight

Seattle set the world record for largest snowball fight yesterday. Since our rainy town maybe gets two inches total per year they had to truck in 162,000lbs of the white stuff in from the passes nearby. Participants built giant snow forts before letting all hell break lose at the end. Estimates were just over 5800 participated, officially breaking the prior record set in South Korea. Since they chose the coldest day in Seattle in awhile the snow melted slightly then glazed over with ice...the event wound up getting pretty dangerous. My 70-200 took a direct hit to the front element early on while it was still light out, which knocked me out of the fight for 30 minutes as I tried to get it dry again (successful). By the time I came back it was dark and hard to see the snowballs. Consequently I also sustained one direct shot the thigh (bruised), a graze to the nose (scratched), and a direct hit on my right ear which briefly gave me stars. At which point I was done. Also saw the Reuters photog taking shelter behind a bunker with a seriously bloodied nose, a girl get knocked out cold, and a fist fight on ice. In summation, it was awesome in a scary way.

Anyways, some of the photos:

Last one is awesome!!!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS