Thread: Problems with Flickr

Problems with Flickr

I'm having a problem with my Flickr uploads and I can't figure out what's going on.

I primarily work on a MacBook Pro but I also have an older Windows laptop I use occasionally. I edit all my photos using Lightroom 4 and Photoshop CS6 on my MacBook. When I edit the photos on my MacBook and upload them to Flickr, they look great. However, when I go on my Flickr page on my Windows laptop, the same shots that look perfect on my MacBook are dull and extremely noisy. Has anyone had this happen to them before? When I save my photos to upload, I always use the "Save For Web" option.

I decided recently to put all my aviation photos on Flickr, and I had about 50 cropped, watermarked and ready to go. I spent the whole night yesterday tagging them and writing descriptions for Flickr and uploaded them, and they looked great on my MacBook. But when I checked the newly uploaded photos on my Windows laptop, they looked like ****!

Make sure the color settings for your software on the MacBook are set for sRGB, not Adobe RGB.

I upload full size photos to flickr(I have disabled them from being downloaded) instead of saving for web and have never had a problem

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Moose, when I do the "save for web" option, it converts the files from Adobe RGB to sRGB.

When I edited the photos for Flickr, I took the 1024px JPG's I uploaded to A.net/JP, resized to 800px and saved again. I know resaving JPG's degrades quality--could this be the problem? Surprising thing is is that they look fine on my MacBook...

Man, I never 'got' the whole resizing thing. I understand the premise of it- but I could never understand how anet wants 1024px wide yet whenever I resize to that requirement and then view that @ 100%, it always looks like crap(and yes I sharpen after resizing). Yet, when I view full-size versions of accepted photos they're all crazy sharp with no image degradation. Now I know my editing skills aren't THAT bad, so I must be missing a step somewhere along the way. Arrgh

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    Man, I never 'got' the whole resizing thing. I understand the premise of it- but I could never understand how anet wants 1024px wide yet whenever I resize to that requirement and then view that @ 100%, it always looks like crap(and yes I sharpen after resizing). Yet, when I view full-size versions of accepted photos they're all crazy sharp with no image degradation. Now I know my editing skills aren't THAT bad, so I must be missing a step somewhere along the way. Arrgh
    I completely agree. I feel like my A.net photos--while good enough to be accepted--don't have that rich look other A.net photos have. I'm convinced it's something to do with the way I'm saving them because they look fine in Photoshop.

I uploaded the original file of one of my problem photos to Flickr and it looked much better, although once again there was a quality degradation when viewing it on the Windows computer. The only problem with the large file is that Flickr is letting people see the original size and I can't find out how to turn that off...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris102 View Post
    I completely agree. I feel like my A.net photos--while good enough to be accepted--don't have that rich look other A.net photos have. I'm convinced it's something to do with the way I'm saving them because they look fine in Photoshop.

I uploaded the original file of one of my problem photos to Flickr and it looked much better, although once again there was a quality degradation when viewing it on the Windows computer. The only problem with the large file is that Flickr is letting people see the original size and I can't find out how to turn that off...
    Dude I just figured out how to do that about a month ago- go into the settings- privacy and permissions tab- for the question 'who can access your original image files?' choose "only you". That should do it. I had to do a damn google search just to figure out how others did it, it's like they didn't want people to know or something