Thread: WWII Photos

WWII Photos

A friend sent me these. I had not seen these before (maybe a couple) and figured I'd share with all here. Great stuff

[Text and Image order as sent to me]

Japanese Kawanishi H8K seaplane after strafing. Kwajalein

Squad of Rufe's at Bougainville . These things were very nimble even with the pontoons.

The A6M2-N float plane version of the Zero did extremely well, suffering only a small loss in its legendary maneuverability. Top speed was not affected, however, the aircraft's relatively light armament was a detriment.

Snow on deck. USS Philippine Sea North Pacific 1945

HARVS on the way in shot by a P-47. Rare shot.

Deck crew climbing up to get the pilot out. He did. That’s a fuel tank his foot is on. Empty?

Marines disembark LST at Tinian Island.

Bougainville.

Guam.

Outside Bastogne (Dec 1944)

German 280mm K5 firing

U.S. Munitions ship goes up during the invasion of Sicily

German V1 Rocket

Spitfire "tipping-off" a V1. If you've never heard of this insane tactic. At first V1's were shot down by gunfire. With the high risk of being blown up, some of the best pilots started tipping the V1's wing, because of damage to wing tips they later developed a tactic of disrupting the airflow by placing their wing very close to the V1's wing, causing it to topple. Not every pilot did this. At night this was not possible, the flame from the V1 blinded the pilot to everything else, though some Mossie pilots flew past closely in front of the V1, again causing it to topple. The thought of doing this at 450mph, 4,000 feet above the ground, at night, and being blinded gives me the willies.

Panzerkampfwagen VI "E Tiger"

Ju-88 loading a torpedo. This is one HUGE bomber .. And it's on pontoons!!!!

Continued on next post...
    Last edited by gonzalu; 2013-01-07 at 03:02 PM.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Continued from first post...

German "KARL" mortars. Sebastopol

Reloading a KARL

BOOM!

Macchi 202v

Italian 303 Bombers over N Africa

PICTURES TAKEN 69 YRS AGO & LEFT IN A BROWNIE ARE REAL INTERESTING.
    ================================================== ==
    (December 7, 1941)
    Isn't it amazing how a film could last so long in a camera without disintegrating? Fantastic photos taken 69 years ago. Some of you will have to go to a museum to see what a Brownie box camera looked like?

Here is a simple picture of that Brownie Box camera, we are talking about. These photos are absolutely incredible

PHOTOS STORED IN AN OLD BROWNIE CAMERA

Thought you might find these photos very interesting; what quality from 1941. These Pearl Harbor photos were found in an old Brownie stored in a foot locker and just recently taken to be developed. They are from a Sailor who was on the USS Quapaw ATF-110.PEARL HARBOR December 7th, 1941

Share this with ALL ages...
    Elderly will remember; Young should be awed.
    Manny Gonzalez

I first saw the 'Brownie email' a year or so ago and was amazed at the clarity of the images(though it being a chain email I doubt their lineage was traced back to a specific camera type).

Those others though, that was cool, the K5 going off just looks like it was louder than hell. And speaking of the V-1's....brings me back to hearing my Dad tell us of the times they were on R&R in London when all of a sudden they would hear a wave of V-1's coming in. He described it as hearing the notorious buzzsaw sound they made until the engines would cut off, there would be a few seconds of silence, then you would hear the 'ka-BAM' once it fell into the city. I asked him what they did to take cover. 'Sometimes we would just have to stay put. So we played cards'. Balls of steel.

Damn! Amazing photos. Thanks for sharing those manny!
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Love it... Balls of Steel indeed. I would have played cards WHILE crapping my pants
    Manny Gonzalez

Awesome photos, my father was a part of the Polish resistance during WWII with many stories. He says he has photos from that time period, I have to get him to find them.
    "Nobody built like you, you designed yourself."

great photos manny :0 these should definetley be sent to a museum or if they haven't or anything these are really good photos :) should send them somewhere in stead of keeping them c: