Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KJFK Spotting Saturday 1/5

KJFK Spotting Saturday 1/5

Hi,
    Wx is looking good, plan to be out at Kennedy dawn to dusk. Feel free to sel-cal if anyone will be out. (PM if you don't have my number)

Cheers, Raj

Hey Raj ..... Happy New Year!

I may try to meet up with you at some point during the day.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Happy New Year to you too. Great, see U sometime during the day.
    Hoping for 04s in AM but with NW winds maybe it will be up & down 31 all day.

As mentioned in previous threads HoBe parking lot is still closed, but I just park next to the closed gate and get out of my vehicle when I want to shoot something. 4s would be nice, since I haven't been at Bayswater in a while.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

I'll be flying up to Stowe tomorrow for some skiing, but all the weather briefings I've been getting have been for beautiful weather down here all day. Happy hunting!
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Wish I could join you guys today, but I'm in the office and my spotting lens is already packed up and ready to ship out to its soon to be new owner. (And of course I just find out Etihad F1 is on its way to JFK) I'll be down in two weeks though.
    Last edited by steve1840; 2013-01-05 at 06:32 AM.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Left at 4:30 and On road and seems it will be a no go.... Half way passing Danbury engine lite indicates transmission trouble :-(. And engine is seizing already so will have to scrub for the day. Turning back to pleasant valley.

Quote Originally Posted by CX777 View Post
    Left at 4:30 and On road and seems it will be a no go.... Half way passing Danbury engine lite indicates transmission trouble :-(. And engine is seizing already so will have to scrub for the day. Turning back to pleasant valley.

Sorry to hear that car troubles are ruining your day of spotting...hope its not too costly of a fix.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

Oh my! Sorry to hear of your car troubles. Hope it works out for the better and not a major thing.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

Thanks, did make it back 50 miles home, just didn't want get stuck there if its transmission and takes over 1-2 days. BTW have little side story ..
    It was 1988-89.... and having found the the new passion of jets and spotting had similar mishap on my 3rd or 4th trip from Stamford, CT.
    Back then, security was no issue and I could park right off the Rockaway road at 22LEFT end for entire day and no PD would even bother to slow down! Anyway, on this day I ventured on east side of 22LEFT and got my Jetta stuck in the sand! It was only 10am in morning and I just kept taking pics and after 1-2 hour the new spotter I just met (joe pries!) was heading home and was kind enough to send towing truck from rockaway blvd.
    there we 2 guys in the truck and one warned the other but law and behold, they got stuck in the sand!
    So after 3 hours finally the boss comes with big rig tow truck and first pulled the lil tow truck out then pulled me out. Think it cost me $35 but the boss was furious for his tab and was irked that why would someone be out here at the end of the runway! Man was he swearing up the storm as it cost him a bundle to get the rig out here. Oh the drama was just so funny to see.... And all this time I am just listening to the handheld scanner and taking pics ....spotting was not interrupted to say the least. :-).

Glad to hear your car made it home well. Enjoyed the side story as well.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

I only parked at the end of 22L once, back in about 1999. Was there for a couple hours and only got some wierd looks from pedestrians, but not a single cop. And wouldn't you know it, the ONE time I get fantastic shots from that spot, that is the EXACT same rolls of film that got messed up at the photo lab. I remembered standing there as this dopey high school kid said "Uhh, sorry about that, the machine ate your film. I can give you 2 new rolls of but that's all we can do." I remembered thinking that he was probably the stoner that did it and boy did I want to strangle all the air out of him. So that's why digital is better than film(to me).

Better luck next time with your spotting plans Raj

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    I only parked at the end of 22L once, back in about 1999. Was there for a couple hours and only got some wierd looks from pedestrians, but not a single cop. And wouldn't you know it, the ONE time I get fantastic shots from that spot, that is the EXACT same rolls of film that got messed up at the photo lab. I remembered standing there as this dopey high school kid said "Uhh, sorry about that, the machine ate your film. I can give you 2 new rolls of but that's all we can do." I remembered thinking that he was probably the stoner that did it and boy did I want to strangle all the air out of him. So that's why digital is better than film(to me).
    That sucks. Also, having to wait 2 weeks for Kodak to process Kodachrome and mail it back to you, was the worst (with the occasional roll that took 4+ weeks). These days, you take the shot and instantly see the result. And no having to push/pull or change rolls to change ISO. These kids have it so easy (and get off my front lawn!)
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Awesome day out to start 2013!

JAL snuck into the frame

Somehow, this my first shot ever of PIA???

The Beard!

And one for Grand Master Phil

I take zero credit for this shot. I saw Mark taking it and totally copied him. Thanks, buddy! :-)
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

And there is the shot I knew was going to happen today with F1!! Gaaaahhhhhhh!! Note to self: BRING CAMERA TO WORK ON FRIDAYS AND SATURDAYS!!!!!!

Ok, now that that's over with.......great catch Jason! Looks like you had a great day out there. Hope the spotting gods are feeling generous on the 20th.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net