Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Law enforcement encounter at COSTCO parking lot

I have an official license to shot there
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Does it count double is I actually purchased my camera at that Costco??
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    One thing I started doing this year when asked for an ID by Airport Police was to ask for the report/case number, it raises some eyebrows but since I'm nice enough to have my rights violated for engaging in a perfectly legal activity, I'd like a record of it, and they have to provide it!. Plus the persons name who called will be on the report. And I suggest that maybe the dispatcher should start asking the caller if they know of an actual law that prohibits photography.
    I don't see what asking for a case number accomplishes. And what rights exactly are tehy violating? I don't see a cop walking up to us and having a friendly conversation and asking a few questnos as being a big deal. In fact, as I've always said, I'd be worried if cops never showed up.

We ae lucky enough to employ private property for the hobby, and I think anything like that at a place like Costco would likely cause trouble and possibly end the location for us.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Nah, do what I do... put up a tent, a big sign that says "I am taking pictures of planes" and "Free Beer" and "Salty Nuts"

That will insure you go unnoticed!

Once I got into a seriously heated argument AT (inside) the Costco and spilled out onto the parking lot with a lot of choice words exchanged and lots of threats back and forth 9yes, I did NOT scale down the situation and was just as belligerent) and after 15 minutes or so, we finally split up and went our separate ways. I went back to spotting and he went back to being a penis...

NOT A SINGLE PERSON watching the incident, out of about 50, ever called the cops or was concerned for my safety or the safety of the other low cell count organism. I then spent about 20 minutes more spotting when an officer approached us for spotting as someone was "concerned for the planes"

What can I say, people's views of the world are skewed. THe "concerned citizen" is nothing more than Johnny Wannabe needing to stroke his ego that he will catch Osama Bin Laden in the act and be a hero.

"See Something, Say Something" is great but also heightens the desire of ordinary humans to be heroic and we all know how powerful a drug that can be in the right hands

As Cary said... STEALTH is the best medicine and smiling and interacting readily is also advisable... Enjoy the hobby.
    you should have seen what Nick V and i went through a couple of years back by Boston Market right by Costco. Nick V, Jacob Salima and I were out there that day to catch an Aeromexico 777. Some guy with his wife circled around us for awhile until he block us from leaving and wanted to report us taking pictures of the planes. Thats the one day i will never forget. That dude went too far.
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Thats also why I have problem trying to find a spot to catch rwy31R action, since I have no car, I would be hassled more often because I can be just standing there shooting and I get called in quicker Things for me r worse so I gotta find some place to go try to shoot.
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

The reason I started asking for the number was everytime they run my ID it puts a little red flag by my name, I know this to be true because one Officer was nice enough to point it out on his computer display after asking if I had a lot of tickets, which I have none. I understand the whole private property issue and every owner or manager is aware or our activities and welcomes us, when an "Airport Police" officer leaves the boundary or the airport, their powers and authorities end, per city rules! That's just the way it is here in SA because they did not want to join the Park Police and become one department w/SAPD. So when they roll up with lights on, onto a private parking lot where I have full permission to be and order me out of my truck and demand an ID, there's a little problem there, I have every right to be there and engage in a perfectly legal activity. Same goes for some of the public sidewalks that border the perimeter fence.

I don't want to start a big debate on here but that's I feel, I've gone from being threatened with arrest back in 2006 to just a friendly wave as they pass by this last year due to learning the REAL rules and regulations and I think most of the Officers I have talked with respect that, it's just the 2 times this year where a newer Officer got all gung-ho and thought they bagged the next terrorist. I think questioning those Officers tactics and legality of those actions thru "proper channels" led to an official area recognized on the airports website this year.

To me the ID thing is like the random DWI check points, I'm just trying to go home after work I shouldn't be stopped for know reason. I know DWI is a major problem done here but subjecting everyone to random searches is heading in a dangerous direction. I hear the opposite side of it too, If you have nothing to hide, what's the problem? My response is always 'If I was a FBI agent or someone similar would you mind me looking through your house, just to make sure everythings legal? You got nothing to hide , right?"
    PANTS UP, DON'T LOOT!

Program Coordinator
    As they were returning to their car which was parked a few cars down from us, took out his cell phone and took photo's of us I believe. Nothing transpired, and no cops ever arrived to question us. Then recently again while at Panera this time, some guy with his gal took pics of a couple of us with his cell phone as well (I saw him in the act, and waved (knowing he was another jerk without any guts to come over and ask .... why are you taking photos of planes).
    I hate it when people do that to me. It's never happened at the spotter locations in Seattle...but has happened a few times in the terminals. Someone once went out of their way to come over and take a photo of me gate spotting at Ohare...I asked them what they were taking a photo of and the guy just sort of sulked off.

The reason I started asking for the number was everytime they run my ID it puts a little red flag by my name, I know this to be true because one Officer was nice enough to point it out on his computer display after asking if I had a lot of tickets, which I have none. I understand the whole private property issue and every owner or manager is aware or our activities and welcomes us, when an "Airport Police" officer leaves the boundary or the airport, their powers and authorities end, per city rules!
    I guess I can't comment on San Antonio, because here in NYC, the "Airport Police" are not guards, but Port Authority Police under STATE jurisdiction, so they can pursue off of airport property.

That's just the way it is here in SA because they did not want to join the Park Police and become one department w/SAPD. So when they roll up with lights on, onto a private parking lot where I have full permission to be and order me out of my truck and demand an ID, there's a little problem there, I have every right to be there and engage in a perfectly legal activity. Same goes for some of the public sidewalks that border the perimeter fence.
    I would take issue with that, too. At JFK, El Al security tries to boss peopel around as if they have ANY authority. I've heard many stories but have never had the luck to encounter them.

I don't want to start a big debate on here but that's I feel, I've gone from being threatened with arrest back in 2006 to just a friendly wave as they pass by this last year due to learning the REAL rules and regulations and I think most of the Officers I have talked with respect that, it's just the 2 times this year where a newer Officer got all gung-ho and thought they bagged the next terrorist. I think questioning those Officers tactics and legality of those actions thru "proper channels" led to an official area recognized on the airports website this year.

To me the ID thing is like the random DWI check points, I'm just trying to go home after work I shouldn't be stopped for know reason. I know DWI is a major problem done here but subjecting everyone to random searches is heading in a dangerous direction. I hear the opposite side of it too, If you have nothing to hide, what's the problem? My response is always 'If I was a FBI agent or someone similar would you mind me looking through your house, just to make sure everythings legal? You got nothing to hide , right?"
    I've been on all sides of encounters, from friendly waves, high fives, to benig detained for hours with equipment confiscated, so it's all good.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    it's all good.
    It is! Nothing worthwhile is easy and it will get better!
    PANTS UP, DON'T LOOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Aviation.High.Guy View Post
    He let me in on the fact that this concerned citizen "George C." had reported me by 911. Whoa. That kind of spooked me and now I'm a little reluctant to go back to that spot.
    I had a neighbor a while back here in LAS that was a cop in the sub-station that covered the area around Mc Carran Airport. We used to hang out periodically and discuss our nerdy hobbies.There's an office park across the street from the threshold of the 25's, and sometimes spotters will park in their parking lot to partake in our little hobby. My neighbor told me that from time to time, he will get a call about a spotter(s) "suspicious activity" in the parking lot, but after talking to the "suspect", he knew they were harmless and they were just spotting so he would let them be and move on, but if someone makes a call on a spotter, the police are obligated to follow up on it. I guess it's the same old story that in any profession, you have some people that can be (expletive deleted) and on the other end of the spectrum people like my neighbor that can be cool about things.
    Last edited by disco stu; 2013-01-04 at 09:47 PM.
    My name is Disco Stu and I love disco music.

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    In NY I would be afraid to ask for a case/report number, although you are completely right and I should. There's always the possibility (however remote it may be) that you
    meet up with that one "bad cop". The guy that makes your life real miserable, either within the law or outside of the law. It just ain't worth it.

One thing I started doing this year when asked for an ID by Airport Police was to ask for the report/case number, it raises some eyebrows but since I'm nice enough to have my rights violated for engaging in a perfectly legal activity, I'd like a record of it, and they have to provide it!. Plus the persons name who called will be on the report. And I suggest that maybe the dispatcher should start asking the caller if they know of an actual law that prohibits photography.

Personally I use high-profile technique, I'm standing in the bed of my truck, camera in hand, another on a tri-pod on the roof just for effect with the handheld scanner.
    -Don B.

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    My kids love going planespotting with me. (I'm milking it because I know that will change when they become teens.)
    Anyway, I made a new biz card specifically for handing over to authorities. There's a pic on it of a 73 passing over my elated
    daughter's head at ILS 22L. I'm hoping the image will go a long way disarming law encounters.
    -Don B.

Anyway, I made a new biz card specifically for handing over to authorities. There's a pic on it of a 73 passing over my elated
    daughter's head at ILS 22L. I'm hoping the image will go a long way disarming law encounters.
    Don - that is awesome, and goes a long way towards proving Nick's theory about how having a kid with you while spotting makes you legit LOL
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

Quote Originally Posted by kc2aqg View Post
    Don - that is awesome, and goes a long way towards proving Nick's theory about how having a kid with you while spotting makes you legit LOL
    Always worked with me when my kids were young and I was Helo Spotting!! :O)

Well, there are certainly enough shoppers at Cosco that help to possibly end your spotting day early if you are shooting every jetblue arrival. The more you shoot the greater the odds of being booted, however there is another force in play or has been in recent years. There is, or was, an employee of the other business that is just along the water's edge - Petco maybe? I forget. Anyway, he takes out the garbage or whatever and calls on his cell phone as soon as he sees someone start taking photos. Then he tries to "hide" in the little alley way between the store and the water and I guess hoping to see people ejected. I wave at him and laugh. He always looks upset at being spotted.
    "Keep 'em Flying"