Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SXM/TNCM 12-24 to 12-29

Steve, do NOT believe a word Cary says about the costs It is EXPENSIVE as hell. You will pay the airfare which is cheap. It was $48 dollars round trip per person for me, my wife and my daughter (in advance).

Then, come the fees. It was about $250 in fees and taxes ABOVE the cost of the tix. So you pay an Exit fee from St. Martin SXM, then an entry fee to St. Barth's and then some other taxes to help improve sand quality in Fiji, then a Volcano just in case tax... etc. etc. RIDICULOUS!! So I didn't go this time because I really did not want to waste the day. SXM was just too good this time of year!!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    Hey Manny, those are nice and all, but don't you owe me something?

And talk about sucking over have to leave, freaking N88WR came yesterday. Timo got a great shot of it.
    Did you get the package, Cary?
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604 View Post
    Nice grabs Manny. Love all the foreign reggies!
    I would love to catch that Falcon 7X with the clouds!
    That is a nice scheme!!
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Steve, do NOT believe a word Cary says about the costs It is EXPENSIVE as hell. You will pay the airfare which is cheap. It was $48 dollars round trip per person for me, my wife and my daughter (in advance).

Then, come the fees. It was about $250 in fees and taxes ABOVE the cost of the tix. So you pay an Exit fee from St. Martin SXM, then an entry fee to St. Barth's and then some other taxes to help improve sand quality in Fiji, then a Volcano just in case tax... etc. etc. RIDICULOUS!! So I didn't go this time because I really did not want to waste the day. SXM was just too good this time of year!!
    If you're being serious, then thanks for the heads up Manny. Aside from the amazing spotting, how are the sights on St. Maartin? Any locations you would suggest if I wanted to take a day away from Maho to do some sight seeing? I plan on spending an entire week when I go, so I will have many days to go to Maho.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Steve, NO JOKING! It blows with all the taxes and fees... it is actually more money for the fees. The trip is worth it, mind you, as St. Barths is a GEM of an island paradise, aside from SBH!

As for sightseeing. You MUST go to Marigot (French side capital) and Philipsburg (Dutch side captial and great shopping center) Remember, Dutch side has NO SALES TAXES!! They also have the famous St. Martin Star Wars Museum there that one of the SW puppet builders runs on the island. It is certainly a must see and if you're a SW fan, bring cash... I dropped a few bucks in there this year and last time I was there
    Manny Gonzalez

It was only $130-170ish after taxes the last time I went, and when I checked this year. But yes, the fees make up most of the airfare.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    It was only $130-170ish after taxes the last time I went, and when I checked this year. But yes, the fees make up most of the airfare.
    That makes sense for one person... It was $500 ish for my family so makes sense...
    Manny Gonzalez

Thanks for the tips! I appreciate it. I look forward to doing as much sightseeing photography, as I do spotting.....well, maybe a little less than spotting . haha.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

Steve, NO JOKING! It blows with all the taxes and fees... it is actually more money for the fees. The trip is worth it, mind you, as St. Barths is a GEM of an island paradise, aside from SBH!

As for sightseeing. You MUST go to Marigot (French side capital) and Philipsburg (Dutch side captial and great shopping center) Remember, Dutch side has NO SALES TAXES!! They also have the famous St. Martin Star Wars Museum there that one of the SW puppet builders runs on the island. It is certainly a must see and if you're a SW fan, bring cash... I dropped a few bucks in there this year and last time I was there
    Yup, Its a small Island but there is plenty to explore. I've been there 4 times and still have not seen everything. One place I found fascinating was the butterfly farm, its kinda off in the middle of no where but yielded some great photo opps.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Sounds great! Are there any waterfalls on the the island? I would love to get a shot of a waterfall in a tropical setting.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

Steve if you want tropical waterfalls, you must go to Hawaii... However, there MUST be one somewhere because they have high mountains... :-)

In Hawaii, did you all know Maui has one of the world's largest rainforests? I was shocked to learn that...
    Manny Gonzalez

Steve if you want tropical waterfalls, you must go to Hawaii... However, there MUST be one somewhere because they have high mountains... :-)

In Hawaii, did you all know Maui has one of the world's largest rainforests? I was shocked to learn that...
    Hawaii is definitely on my list, but unfortunately, it is after SXM and Australia..One of these years....

Sounds like I have some research to do on waterfalls on St. Maartin....or St. Barths
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

Manny Gonzalez

Thanks Manny! I'll check those out at home later!

One other question....would you suggest getting a rental car or no? How is public transportation there?
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

Quote Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
    Thanks Manny! I'll check those out at home later!

One other question....would you suggest getting a rental car or no? How is public transportation there?
    rent a car for a day, otherwise not needed.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture