Thread: KCLT - Delta A320 Emergency Landing

KCLT - Delta A320 Emergency Landing

The sun poked its head out for a bit this afternoon, and like a moth to a flame, I found myself at the CLT Overview. They were using Rwy 36, so we had departures coming our way. After a little bit of hide and seek with the sun, we noticed a number of airport rescue vehicles heading down to the approach end of 36C. Since I was using my scanner to store dead batteries, I hadn't been listening, but was able to pick up bits and pieces as the batteries struggled to provide their last ounce of power.

It was Delta flight 335, from Atlanta, an A320, which had declared an emergency. I never did hear what the reason for the IFE was. Once they landed, the rescue vehicles followed them down the runway until they turned off onto the ramp. After two or three minutes stopped on the ramp with the ARFF trucks around it, the crew taxied to the terminal, with two crash trucks following behind.

Landing rollout, with rescue vehicles in trail.

A crash truck from the ANG wing was part of the reception committee.

Looking at FlightAware, they show the flight came in at 4:13pm, although from my photos, it actually landed at 4:27pm - the only Delta flight near that time. This was also the first time in the last 10 days that it wasn't an MD-88 or DC-9 on the flight.

You were at the right place at the right time! Is it possible that this could've been a no flaps landing, hence the emergency?

It might have been a flap issue. Hard to see clearly at the distance he was at, but zooming in on the landing rollout shots, the leading edge devices were clearly deployed.