Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 100-400mm lens for sale

Canon 100-400mm lens for sale

Hey guys, I'm selling my Canon 100-400mm L-series lens. As many of you have met me on here know, I take very good care of my gear and the lens is in excellent condition. I have the hood, both front and rear caps, carry case (bag), and original box and papers. If you're interested please PM me.

Steve
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Wow, that's a pretty useful lens for aviation shooting- what will you be using instead?

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    My guess would be 70-200 2.8.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Nick would be correct. I'm upgrading to a 70-200 and 2x teleconverter. The 70-200 will benefit me in many more ways than the 100-400 will right now and I need to sell it to fund getting the 70-200.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

Having shot with a 70-200 and a 2x converter, one thing to watch out for is shooting heavies at the mounds. You'll really wish for that extra 40mm on the wide end!
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Quote Originally Posted by pgengler View Post
    Having shot with a 70-200 and a 2x converter, one thing to watch out for is shooting heavies at the mounds. You'll really wish for that extra 40mm on the wide end!

That's where my second body with 24-105mm comes into play
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    I like what you are doing Steve!
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    I like what you are doing Steve!
    Yeah, the 70-200 f2.8 is far superior in terms of quality than the 100-400 even with the teleconverter on it. And having that allows me to shoot other areas of interest for me as well. This will allow me to shoot racing at night now better than I could with the 100-400 and allowme to start shooting local concerts as well with more funtionality than just using the nifty-50 which limits the types of shots you can get. All in all, this will be a better, more versatile addition to my bag than the 100-400.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

I shoot mostly with my 70-200mm f/2.8 lens with and without a 1.4X teleconverter and the IQ is still outstanding. For me it's a great combo for the mounds, Costco, and Bayswater. Depending on how far out departures are out at HoBe it may or may not give you adequate reach.

Steve.....good choice and well worth it!
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

I have actually been thinking about doing this same thing.
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

Also thought about switching to a 70-200 2.8 with teleconverters, but inherent in using them is giving up more and more wide angle as you ramp up the magnification ratio. Also, my guess would be that once you get to the 1.7x and 2x your IQ (not to mention speed) drops to where a consumer zoom with a more practical range would offer comparable image quality in good light. I did use two bodies once at an airshow, but the 2nd was attached to a superwide for static shots

Steve I don't know how good the Canon version is but everyone raves about portrait and concert work with the 70-200 2.8 Nikkor.

I hear canon one is fantastic. My issue is how slow the 100-400 is with the 7D
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    Also thought about switching to a 70-200 2.8 with teleconverters, but inherent in using them is giving up more and more wide angle as you ramp up the magnification ratio. Also, my guess would be that once you get to the 1.7x and 2x your IQ (not to mention speed) drops to where a consumer zoom with a more practical range would offer comparable image quality in good light. I did use two bodies once at an airshow, but the 2nd was attached to a superwide for static shots

Steve I don't know how good the Canon version is but everyone raves about portrait and concert work with the 70-200 2.8 Nikkor.
    With all the reviews I have read abotui the 70-200 f2.8 IS II mated with the Extender III 2x teleconverter, I feel very good about this upcoming purchase. I have not read one bad thing yet and everybody I have talked to who has used the 100-400 and then switched to the setup I am going to has said that the little bit of degredation in image quality from the 2x converter still blows the 100-400 away and the newer Extender III teleconverter is much faster than the older Extender II model. Besides, even if the AF speed were to slow down from using the 70-200 by itself, it will still be faster than using the 100-400. haha.

In regards to quality for portrait and concert shots.....that is one reason why I am making this upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by seahawks7757 View Post
    I hear canon one is fantastic. My issue is how slow the 100-400 is with the 7D
    I couldn't agree more..
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    Since we are on the L series topic, I have a question. I have the Canon L 100-400mm. It has accumulated a few
    pieces of dust or lint beneath the front element. Bugs the crap out of me that I can't clean it. I know this lens
    is more prone to internal dust because of the push-pull zooming design. Has anyone else experienced this and if so,
    is it worth paying to have the lens taken apart for a professional cleaning? Thanks, Don

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviation.High.Guy View Post
    is it worth paying to have the lens taken apart for a professional cleaning? Thanks, Don

The answer would be if it were affecting your images or not. If it is only minor or a few specs, I wouldn't worry about it. It would most likely have to be severe in order to affect your images. Just my 2 cents.