Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon 100-400mm lens for sale

Steve, you mentioned concerts. I think Cary shoots them ... anyway, my go to lens for concerts or events similar to such (I shoot more events than concerts, maybe just one concert in the last two years ) is the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 ... no lowly 70-200mm f/2.8 will do

Now back to our sport. I also have been shooting with my OLD 70-200mm f/2.8 VR I and 1.7x TC pretty much exclusively... while it is not as sharp as the 70-200mm naked, it is good enough for web output and small prints. Definitely will get the VR II version as soon as possible because it has much better vignette control and CA control in the extreme corners. The VR I was designed for DX cameras (it is not a DX lens) and it shows. Only drawback with the new VR II Nikkor is that is has a tn of nasty focus breathing at 200mm. If you focus up close, the lens is actually around 180mm maybe less. But, it should not matter much for aviation.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

I think I read that the 70-200VRII, when extended to 200mm at closest focus distance, is actually only around 135mm. That is crazy, and little incentive for me to trade in my 135mm f/2.