Thread: Instagram can sell your photos w/o permission.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

Instagram can sell your photos w/o permission.

'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

I think most users won't care. It's not much different from what Facebook does already.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    They ALWAYS had that in their TOU and besides the ****ty filters, I've just never seen the point of it all anyway.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

This recent gizmodo article applauds the way Instagram handles its business, and even implicates it as partly responsible for the 'death' of flickr:

http://gizmodo.com/5910223/how-yahoo...t-the-internet

And now, the TOS of flickr:

At Flickr, your photos are always yours

There has been some discussion on the web as of late about image ownership on photo sites so we wanted to take a moment to address this on Flickr.
    Here at Flickr, we’re all about helping you share your photos. That’s what photos are for. Sharing and remembering what you see, with the people that matter to you.
    We feel very strongly that sharing online shouldn’t mean giving up rights to your photos. Our Terms of Service clearly spell out that Flickr/Yahoo! doesn’t own the photos that you upload. You, as a member, maintain all ownership rights to the photos that you upload to Flickr. Our Terms of Service allow us to,
    use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform and publicly display such Content on the Yahoo! Services solely for the purpose for which such Content was submitted or made available.” (Please see Section 9b of the Terms of Service for the full text.)
    This grants Flickr the right to provide the Flickr service, i.e. create the small, medium, and large sizes, display your photos on the site, etc. It doesn’t mean that we own them. When you upload your photos to Flickr, you retain the rights to your images.

I always love an underdog.

I gotta say I fall under what Matt has brought up. Pretty much if I put something on instagram, it's nothing of quality or anything that anybody would want anyway.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

I agree that most stuff up there is not of good quality. But many Instagram users think that it IS of good quality. They think they are talented photographers.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

As long as they send me a kickback of the sale of my photo, I have no problem with it :P otherwise, I'd sue their arses for infringement of my basic rights as a gun totin Eye Meri Can !!! ROTFL.

Seriously, they will not make the mistake of instantly losing their entire user base like Netflix did... or Coke New Formula did... or maybe they will, who knows, the world will end on Friday anyway!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

I don't use Instagram.

The thign about this is that Instagram knows very well how people respond to this type of thing...they aren't the first site to experience such a backlash. I feel like they just wanted to see how upset people would get, in a "Hey, let's see if we can get away with it now, if people still care," kinda thing.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Did you read the wording of their statement? "It is not our INTENT to sell your photos." Almost as if if the opportunity arose, they would.

Manny, if the Mayans were right, the world would have ended a couple of years ago. They never factored in leap years ;)
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Didn't this same thing happen with fb a year or 2 ago? Where they suddenly changed their privacy policy about them now owning everything you post? And there was a huge backlash like this one and they 'redefined' what they meant.

I stay the hell away from fb, twitter, and instagram, these newfangled whirlygigs scare the crapola out of me