Thread: One Camera Setup...Which Would it Be?

One Camera Setup...Which Would it Be?

If you could only have ONE camera body and ONE lens of each of the following to use for the rest of your spotting career, which would it be?

To add a little Call of Duty-esque portion, what two pieces of "bling" would you like (specific strap, flash, grip, tripod, etc.) to bring along? Assume that 1 battery and a memory card is always included, so no need to include those.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Canon 5D Mark 3, Canon 100-400L f4-5.6 IS, any solid tripod, and an awesome airport with a viewing area and no cops to pester you

For spotting that's easy. DX-format Nikon D300s with the Sigma 50-500mm HSM, plus the MB-D10 battery grip, and replace the factory strangle strap with a Tamrac N-45. And I would need an EN-EL4 battery instead of the EN-EL3e to up the firing rates.

But in reality, I could not bring myself to abandon my current sweet 3-lens setup(Sigma 150-500mmHSM, 70-300mmVR when I need best quality and objects are close enough, and 12-24mm f/4 for the wides. Since I have no access to any airside spots, why would I need anything between 24-70mm.) I know this could get me flamed, but there's no reason for the 70-200 f/2.8, focal range's not versatile enough for what you spend on it. And don't get me started on the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8, not worth 3 grand. I need practical and in decent light I can work up good enough quality in post.

yeah. her...i mean that.

with a 1.4TC....wouldn't want to lose autofocus.
    Last edited by threeholerglory; 2012-12-17 at 12:03 AM.
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

1D IV with a 28-300mm (Can't be too safe) with a Speedlight flash, 430EX II.

Nikon D5200 + Sigma 50-500mm is hard to beat for aviation.

At 24MP 1.5x crop, it is the highest resolution sensor out there... paired with a low quality but super range 50-500mm it will cover you for almost any shot you can imagine from The Mounds to HoBe

And Mike, here is an even better Beast: Nikon Nikkor 1200-1700mm f/5.6

We should be able to see the button settings on the ceiling of that 747 departing 31L for the Canarsie Climb. With a 2X Tele, How about MIR?
    Last edited by gonzalu; 2012-12-17 at 02:08 AM.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

The 100-400mm is good, but isn't it too weak, actually limiting the quality capability of a Mark3? I feel I might want to reduce my range with a 70-200mm 2.8, and then get a 1.4 converter for autofocus instead. I would also go for a battery grip.

And I won't even respond to the person who shows their interest in that underage girl over there. :-p

Program Coordinator
    The 100-400mm is good, but isn't it too weak, actually limiting the quality capability of a Mark3? I feel I might want to reduce my range with a 70-200mm 2.8, and then get a 1.4 converter for autofocus instead. I would also go for a battery grip.
    My opinion is that your assessment is pretty accurate.

I'd go 5DIII +300f/2.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post

And I won't even respond to the person who shows their interest in that underage girl over there. :-p
    ROTFL

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post

underage is relative. She's at LEAST 18...don't be jealous of her crystal clear complexion! I am deeply offended!
    Last edited by threeholerglory; 2012-12-17 at 12:49 PM.
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

If she is 16 I would be surprised. But let's stay on topic.

A 300mm 2.8 is some outstanding glass, but I'd rather be armed more on the short-range. It would suck to have good, up-close access, and not be able to take any pics because you're locked in at 300mm. In fact, the 300mm is a very limiting lens in general, I feel, if you're not at the "just right" range.

HoBe: 500mm on Crop for Jumbo is just about right depending on flight path on departure. 400mm flexible but I rather have more magnification

Bayswater: Depends... 22R departures/4L Arrivals, same as HoBe. 4R Arrivals, 70-500mm to cover small to large. 31L arrivals/13R Departures Same as HoBe.

The Mounds: 70-500mm will cover it all, including sweet closeups... crop or ff

North Woodmere: Same as HoBe

Panera/Costco: 70-300mm covers it very nicely, but 70-500mm is much better same as The Mounds.

That's my personal experience, although I shoot full frame exclusively for about 3 years now. The D800 is about 15MP when cropped in center otherwise it is a FF camera as well as my very old 12MP D3...

D3 shines at SXM style approaches or departures where you need super wide (14mm) and high frame rates (9fps) to get at least one good shot without any wings clipped
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Program Coordinator
    In fact, the 300mm is a very limiting lens in general, I feel, if you're not at the "just right" range.
    Not nearly as limiting as you might think. It's also definitely based on spotting in my region...where 300mm on a FF does everything just about perfectly.I

If you asked me to pick a combo unrelated to spotting...5Diii and 70-200 2.8 II IS. No questions asked win.