Thread: JFK Non-union Security Strike?

JFK Non-union Security Strike?

What's this I hear about a security strike at JFK? Will this impact my upcoming trips?

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...183399581.html

And what's with the REALLY OLD and crappy photo of JFK from Getty? Jesus, they could come here and get real recent pictures for god's sake!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Don't know about the strike, but you think that's old? Local news just recently seemed to have stopped using 727 footage for stock airline news.

Also, that pic is horrible...amazing that an editor actually said "Yes, that's the photo we should use...that one that is 40 degree crooked, underexposed and with dust spots." AND that Getty allows such garbage.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Unbelievable really...

Now back to the news This strike should be worthy of your kind of coverage, Phil.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

If you're working somewhere for two or three years at $8 an hour without a raise and no benefits, I do feel bad. Even McDonald's gives out raises. After taxes and expensive transportation to the airport, I'd guess these people are basically working for free the first couple hours of every shift.

But the jobs these workers are striking for essentially require no skills. Many of them just sit watching doors all day. If something *does* happen, they have to call someone who can actually do something about it (a someone who might be too late by the time they get there). Many of them are 50-something-year-old east Indian women who would be working in Dunkin Donuts if not for the airport. The way they can attract anyone to work for $8 an hour in the first place is that these people can't get jobs many other places. The fact that they're still at these crummy jobs and haven't moved on to something better is partially due to the crummy economy, but also partially due to them not being employable in many other fields.

If anything, the attention being paid to them will shine a light on the joke that is the airport security system and eventually they will be replaced (hopefully) by better-paid professionals. Some of them might be able to make the transition, but most will not.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Matt's post is harsh but true.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Hey, someone has to stand guard for rogue jet skiers at rwy 4 now that the fence that didnt work floated away
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.