Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Jones Beach Airshow

I wonder what it would cost to sponsor a team like the Blues. Now before you think im crazy, I dont think it would be as horrible as it sounds. I think the pilots are already required to log X amount of seat time per month, so this is the time they could use to train. If Jones beach charged an extra $10 a car plus local sponsors, I think we could be looking at a pretty significant amount of $. if we assume 800K people, and 3 per car, thats $2.67M in parking alone. ... actually, maybe it isnt doable, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by puckstopper55 View Post
    I wonder what it would cost to sponsor a team like the Blues. Now before you think im crazy, I dont think it would be as horrible as it sounds. I think the pilots are already required to log X amount of seat time per month, so this is the time they could use to train. If Jones beach charged an extra $10 a car plus local sponsors, I think we could be looking at a pretty significant amount of $. if we assume 800K people, and 3 per car, thats $2.67M in parking alone. ... actually, maybe it isnt doable, lol.
    Seems like it'd be a big bill to raise even if they charged extra to get it. would people who are not die hards want to pay $20 (i know i would) after sitting in all the traffic to get down there? there has been talk of people willing to put up money to have them but the Blues haven't said if they'd even consider that!

CBS news just posted an article on the fleet week cancellation:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/04/...ys-fleet-week/

Anyone know what foreign ships were scheduled to visit NYC this year ?
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

WASHINGTON: Get your act together!! I love how CBS was 'surprised' by this information, lol

As far as sponsorship goes, maybe the BFCU could work with the AAM and get the Collings Foundation to come down with their F-4 Phantom, A-4 Skyhawk and F-100?! There is also another F-100 Hun out there which appeared up at the Barnes show a year ago. A Vietnam Vets salute! Throw in some UH-1's...

My second vote would be a Grumman Cat gathering. Bring in as many flyable Wildcats, Hellcats, Bearcats as you can. How about 3-4 P-47's? A salute to LI Aviation!

Cmon BFCU lets make this 10 year anniversary show something special!
    Passengers should NEVER leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through the X-ray machine"
    --TSA.GOV website

The problem is everyone has the same idea about bringing in other warbirds, and unless you have things in the works already, it's probably going to be tough to find someone free this late in the game. I've heard about some things the AAM was looking at, but nothing definite at this point.

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    The Collings Foundation has some great stuff, but they tour it pretty heavily around the country during the warm weather months. Its not just as simple as flying it down from the home base in Mass. The aircraft are likely already committed to other engagements, even if they aren't showing up on the website.

On a related note, they just released another block of dates for the Wings of Freedom Tour, through late August. Looks like they may be making it back up this way for September yet again.
    Last edited by Landing Lights; 2013-04-19 at 01:09 PM.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Thinking of other headlining acts is a fool's errand. We are all geeks and would love to see those planes, but the average joe could not care less. They aint sitting in traffic for hours to see a bunch of old WWII planes...they want the Blues and/or T-Birds. Not to downplay those aircraft, or say that if the airshow consisted of other acts it would not get a decent crowd and be worthwhile to see It would be. But the big time military acts ARE the headliners and bring in the really big crowds. There's just no getting around that.
    Last edited by rkfast; 2013-04-19 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rkfast View Post
    Thinking of other headlining acts is a fool's errand. We are all geeks and would love to see those planes, but the average joe could not care less. They aint sitting in traffic for hours to see a bunch of old WWII planes...they want the Blues and/or T-Birds. Not to downplay those aircraft, or say that if the airshow consisted of other acts it would not get a decent crowd and be worthwhile to see It would be. But the big time military acts ARE the headliners and bring in the really big crowds. There's just no getting around that.
    Good points and even though we probably won't have to deal with really BIG crowds at Jones Beach this year without the Thunderbirds, I still expect ALOT of Diehard Air Show fans from all over the Northeast will be coming to Jones Beach just to see the CF-18 Demo, since it will be one of their ONLY opportunities to actually see a military jet demo anywhere in the US this year !!

I know it's wishful thinking, but I hope the Jones Beach Air Show can still contact either the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach about possibly getting their RARE Me-262, de Havilland Mosquito or Focke-Wulf FW190 to fly in the show OR Art Nalls about booking his Sea Harrier Demo !!
    Fingers crossed !!

A mosquito,a 190,and a harrier, that would be a great show in it self fingers def crossed,but reguardless of of others showing up its still going to be a great show.

Is there anything WE can do? Is someone 'official' (like Larry at AAM) trying to get more acts that could use a hand?

Yes, Bill, as I said, the AAM is looking at options for other displays, however it's pretty late in the game for anything spectacular. Every air show that didn't originally have the T-birds or Blues scheduled had already been working deals for available war birds and civilian acts.

Quote Originally Posted by rkfast View Post
    Then using that line of reasoning....why even bother having an airshow?

Make it like some other shows around the country that are not held every year, "No Team...No Show".

It is a NY State park and nice hot weather on the traditional start of summer will draw crowds, and the state will get it's $10 per car anyhow.

If you are talking about having an airshow then something needs to be added to make up for some burner. It has become a tradition and you can count on adding a few thousand people who want to enjoy some aerial activity. I forgot about Art Nalls Sea Harrier, that would be a great headliner! I still love the Black Diamond Jet team.
    Passengers should NEVER leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through the X-ray machine"
    --TSA.GOV website

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Yes, Bill, as I said, the AAM is looking at options for other displays, however it's pretty late in the game for anything spectacular. Every air show that didn't originally have the T-birds or Blues scheduled had already been working deals for available war birds and civilian acts.
    Havent many of those air shows been cancelled because of the lack of military aircraft?

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Yes, Bill, as I said, the AAM is looking at options for other displays, however it's pretty late in the game for anything spectacular.
    Yes, but I was asking if there was anything WE can do, making calls etc.