Thread: LAX Spotting Question

LAX Spotting Question

Here's the low down. I get one day at LAX in early April 2013 for spring break. I have a couple questions. First, which airlines generally land on which runways?? I don't want be on imperial hill and see the Qantas A380 landing on 24R. I want to see as much heavy traffic as possible. Second, assuming I can only go to two, maybe three, spots, where should I go? Imperial Hill? In N Out? Pround Bird? Encounter Restaurant? Thanks in advance guys. Will post pics after I get back.

I will bump this thread, as in 2 weeks time I will be at LAX for the first time, and would love any and all tips, advice, and locations beyond Imperial Hill, as I would like to shoot arrivals too.

Anything is helpful,

Nick

In terms of heavy traffic it is really not dedicated to one particular set of runways. The early morning arrivals for the A380s seem to arrrive on the 24s (but there may be an exception here and there). The early morning arrival for Virgin Australia 777 seems to arrive on runway 25L. Its hit or miss with the cargo heavies. If I had one day to shot I would probably hit Burger King for morning arrivals for the 24s and then may be Imperial Hill or the Proud Bird for the second have of the day. I recommend tracking and listening to LAX ATC to get a little more insight. In my view there is a wave of traffic from Asia in the morning to LAX and the European traffic later on.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Program Coordinator
    Imperial Hill will be best all around....to maximize though I'd probably do:

Proud bird 0800-1000...a few a380s plus UA heavies

Museum 1000-1130

BK 1200-1430 (euro arrivals)

Imperial hill 1445-dark

Remember guys if he's going in April, the times will change and in the late afternoon the sun should be shifting to the north side of the runway so he could go to the overpass on Westchester.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Yes I will be there in April, but also remember I will only be there one day so I really want to get all I can out of it. If there are two aircraft that are must-sees for me they are the El Al 777 and Singapore A380, if that helps.

Thanks again for all the advice, guys. I am headed out to LAX first thing tomorrow morning, and will be out spotting through Thursday morning. Weather looks rough every day but Christmas, so it sounds like I may be bouncing between the Burger king and Proud Bird to catch as many aircraft as I can.

I will be sure to post here when I find the time!

Folks I use the long term parking lot C instead of in N out burger for 24R. Preferred spot is right under the overpass of SkyWay/W96th Street (you are in the shade). I usually spend a day here and a day at the imperial hill from dawn to dusk. Here are some shots taken from the parking lot.

You will need a second camera with wide angel lens for 24L. Otherwise you will see something like this