Thread: SXM and SBH 2012

SXM and SBH 2012

I will post photos in the planespotting portion shortly, however, here are two videos that were as fun to produce as they are to watch. The first is of the dangerous approach into St Barth's, SBH, from the front seat of a Twin Otter operated by Winair. This flight, by the way, was the Captain's first revenue flight since his checkride. Not bad! If the embed code doesn't work, I will try another way.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/54900099?badge=0" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/54900100" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
    ...."most guys dig narrow bodies with large bumps and round tails that have a floral fragrance. others dig wide bodies with large bumps and wide tails that have that Jet-A scent. Me? I dig planes..."

Roman, I need to talk to you about the beach access at the other end :-)

Anyway, let me try... sweet videos!!

Last edited by gonzalu; 2012-12-04 at 10:59 PM.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

My question, if you or Cary knows, is the beach area accessible by anyone to sunbathe or is it part of a resort? Is it a public beach?
    Manny Gonzalez

Awesome videos, Roman!

Manny, it's public. There is a resort to one side, but there's really no reason to wander over there, anyway. My first year, they landed from over the hill. The second year, they landed over the beach. But, I implore you to stay to the side of the runway and not try for any crazy shots, if you go. This just happened 2 weeks ago:

General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Holy cow... that's pretty bad... lol. And no, I did not plan on doing any crazy stunts... but since the wife and kid will be in-tow (if I go) I need for them to have a place to hang out... thanks!
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Holy cow... that's pretty bad... lol. And no, I did not plan on doing any crazy stunts... but since the wife and kid will be in-tow (if I go) I need for them to have a place to hang out... thanks!
    No prob. Just be forewarned...traffic is usually very slow there, but you're probably used to it, if you've been at Maho in the morning, and maybe get a LIAT or Winair each hour until 11am :)
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

yeah. real bad. we stayed at the beach for about 2 hours, but outside of the runway boundary. actually, we went swimming. that day was extremely windy, so they were only coming in from the hill. an Islander was practicing hill approaches and then reversed from the bay but never landed. probably was a checkride or getting ready for a checkride, since he repeated each approach 5-6 times.

if you hang out too long at the rwy 28 end at the beach, airport personnel WILL drive down in their checkered pickup truck and usher you away. best bet is to stay outside the little orange markers. besides, it's pretty difficult to actually capture a moving airplane from 15 feet away anyway.
    ...."most guys dig narrow bodies with large bumps and round tails that have a floral fragrance. others dig wide bodies with large bumps and wide tails that have that Jet-A scent. Me? I dig planes..."

Manny and Cary, thanks! as I recall, the flight crew mentioned fastening the seatbelts for landing....nothing about remaining seated :) :) :)

here is our departure from 31L over Howard Beach with a strong head wind.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/54904957" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

and here is the return from SXM

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/54904959" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

I do NOT plan on getting in the path :P I don;t need to be hit by a plane or get kicked off... just want a place for Wife/Kid to hang out while I do my thing and make us all happy lol.

Manny Gonzalez