Thread: Any members make model airplanes?

Any members make model airplanes?

Maybe I'm the only forum member who builds model aircraft. I hope not as it's very satisfying to build a model. Nowadays, we buy models already constructed that snap-together because nobody has time to paint the pieces, follow the instructions, apply the transfers (decals),etc. I recently visited a hobby shop and there is an unusual A380 model with 1-side partially cutaway so you can see the inside of the aircraft. I believe the cost is under $100. I never saw an airplane model kit before which lets you see inside the cabins. My apartment is cramped but I wish I had room to construct this. The kit is from Revell of Germany.

I build them - well I did, and now that I'm down in Charlotte, I have room to work and display them, I'll get back into it. I'm a member of a club on Long Island, with over 50 members - not just aircraft modelers, but military vehicles, autos, figures, a little of everything, and we host a show every year in the spring, where we get hundreds of people visiting and entering models.

I wasn't familiar with the cut-away A380 kit, but 40 years ago, I built a similar cut-away kit of the L-1011. It's in a box somewhere (well, most of the parts anyway) in the garage right now.

Here are a couple of projects I started a while back, that I plan to get back to work on:

You are definitely not the only one who builds model aircraft. Years ago I built an EA6B and a BA Concorde, but haven't built anything in a while.
    I currently have a Cessna 150 and Citation I (both Revell kits) awaiting assembly; like you I'm limited in my space. Rudy's Hobby Shop on 30th Ave. in Astoria has an incredible selection of models and paints....

Speedbird if I recall correctly we discussed this topic not too long ago- I think you had said your landlord wouldn't allow you to keep some of the models and you had to get rid of some?

I don't have any shots of the models I built, it was many years ago, but at one point I had a P-51, a MiG-29, an SR-71, and a nice B-24 that I painted up in the colors of my Dad's aircraft from WWII. Don't remember the scale but it was pretty big

Good memory but he never said I must get rid of the models; it was the collection of paper memorabilia which he claims is a fire hazard. As a result, I dumped most of my inflight magazines, numerous timetables, etc. Many models were ruined by time. The decals peeled-off or parts fell-off which I cannot find. I spent hundreds of hours doing models and can't part with them. Actually, my landlord liked my models so I gave him free-of-charge an American 727. He never bothered me again.

I used to build models... at one point I had over 200 model aircraft of all scales, 1/72 being the most popular. I had sixteen or more F-16s, several 1/72 C-135s, B-52s, and a bunch of airliners. I've stored many, had to get rid of them because they were broken beyond all repairs.

Right now I just don't have the time or patience for building models anymore. I sold off the last unbuilt kits at garage sales and am focusing the model collection on 1/72, 1/200, and 1/400 diecast models. It's come to a point where the cost of buying kits and the respective paints and other supplies is going up to the point where you could spend a few more bucks and get a very nicely detailed diecast metal model that won't break as easily as the plastic models. I still have about 75-100 plastic models and will keep the best and undamaged ones when I move...

I have built many over the year, I still pick one up once in a while, recently I built a nice M-4 Sherman, I haven't built a airplane in a while, tanks and other military vehicles are easier to hide mistakes on (battle damage) but now that my son is getting older, (5) we can start on the snap together kits and work up from there.
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

I bought kits at a hobby shop in the Bronx. I built an AA MD-82, Flying Tigers Boeing 707, BA Boeing 707, and an Alaska Boeing 727.
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15