Thread: Chinese Jet Performs First Successful Aircraft Carrier Landings and Takeoffs

Post Chinese Jet Performs First Successful Aircraft Carrier Landings and Takeoffs

NYCAviation:
    Chinese Jet Performs First Successful Aircraft Carrier Landings and Takeoffs

A Chinese fighter jet carried out the first successful landing on the country's first aircraft carrier, defense officials announced.
    [Click to Read Full Article]

The WHOLE SCENE looks NOTHING like a US Aircraft Carrier, or Jet, or operations, or style, or anything. Not at all... no one stole anything, no ideas, technology nothing.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    The WHOLE SCENE looks NOTHING like a US Aircraft Carrier, or Jet, or operations, or style, or anything. Not at all... no one stole anything, no ideas, technology nothing.
    Well, it was originally a Russian aircraft carrier... But really, you're landing jet fighters on a boat - not too many different ways of doing that. They will all be about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Manny, please don't hate on my family's aircraft carrier, the Liaoning
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Moose, regardless, it requires a lot of to come up with that same exact style all on your own... there are bound to be SOME differences if truly done in isolation. The way I see it, they watched Top Gun over and over and over again and then asked a team to duplicate it. lol. I mean right down to the look of the safwety vests and helmets? Come on!

Cary, I thought it was a Cary-err
    Manny Gonzalez

I keep wondering when are they going to stop ripping off the look of our fighters..

I wonder the advantages and disadvantes of the takeoff ramp and exactly how it operates differently than a flat deck in terms of the catapault line. Anyone have info?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    I wonder the advantages and disadvantes of the takeoff ramp and exactly how it operates differently than a flat deck in terms of the catapault line. Anyone have info?
    maybe I missed it, but I didnt see a steam (or any type) of catapult system. I believe the ramp will help with takeoffs and effectively give them an extra few feet of runway

The video showed little blocks that came out of the deck, while the jet throttled up. They then just rocket up the ramp.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_deck#Ski-jump_ramp

"Ski-jump ramp
    A view of the Russian Admiral Kuznetsov showing a prominent ski-jump ramp.

Another British innovation is the ski-jump ramp, which came about as a means of improving take off for the VSTOL BAE Sea Harrier "jump-jet" on the small Invincible class aircraft carriers. Initial testing was carried out at the RAE Bedford. They are most common on aircraft carriers supporting STOVL aircraft such as the Harrier, but the Russians also used them with conventional MiG-29s and Su-33s.
    The ski jump is a ramp which is curved upwards at its forward end. For STOVL aircraft the aircraft starts by making a conventional rolling takeoff with the jet exhausts set to provide maximum forward thrust. As the plane nears the end of the ramp (the ski jump portion) the jet exhausts are rotated to provide upward lift as well as forward thrust. Rolling over the ski ramp launches the plane both upwards and forwards. As the plane leaves the ski jump ramp it continues to accelerate horizontally until the wings can provide the needed lift.
    For conventional aircraft such as the MiG-29 the aircraft just rolls down the runway in the obvious manner. Again, rolling over the ski ramp launches the plane both upwards and forwards.
    Such takeoffs allow a larger takeoff weight than an unassisted horizontal launch because the ski jump ramp provides a vertical impetus when most needed, right at takeoff at the slowest takeoff speed; however, ski-jump launches cannot match the payloads made possible by high-speed catapult launches.
    These takeoffs use less runway than a takeoff over a flat surface because the plane takes off at a lower speed, using both the ski jump ramp's vertical impetus and the deflected jet engines to generate lift.

Ski-jump flight deck of the Royal Navy's Invincible class, HMS Ark Royal

Ski jump ramp takeoffs are considered safer than takeoffs over a flat top carrier. When a Harrier launches from an American LHA (Landing Helicopter Assault) it might finish its takeoff roll and begin flight at 60 ft (18 m) above the water. It might not have a positive rate of climb, especially if the ship had pitched nose down during the takeoff roll. Using a ski jump ramp the plane will certainly launch with a positive rate of climb and its momentum will carry it to 150 to 200 ft (46 to 61 m) above the water.[14]
    For example, an AV-8B Harrier with a gross weight of 29,000 lb (13,000 kg) on a 59 °F (15 °C) day and a 35 kn (40 mph; 65 km/h) wind over the deck would require 400 ft (120 m) to takeoff using a 12° ski jump ramp designed as on the Principe de Asturias, but 750 ft (230 m) without the ski jump ramp.[14]
    For a MiG-29 launching over the ski jump ramp on the Tbilisi, takeoff speed is reduced from about 140 kn (160 mph; 260 km/h) to about 70 kn (81 mph; 130 km/h) (depending on many factors such a gross weight).[15]
    Carriers using STOVL aircraft and a ski jump ramp do not need catapults nor arresting gear.
    With the exception of the United States,France and Brazil, every navy in the world that operates STOVL naval aircraft uses ski jump ramps.
    Manny Gonzalez

I'm shocked that those fighters can do that without a catapult. because I don't think those are STOVL planes, no? Even when fully loaded? It is my job to calculate takeoff performance of airliners and I don't understand this haha.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    The video showed little blocks that came out of the deck, while the jet throttled up. They then just rocket up the ramp.
    If what I remember is correct, those little blocks just stopped the plane from moving forward as they were positioned in front of the wheels. I think their purpose is to allow the aircraft to get to max power before it begins to move.