Thread: Warbirds Over Monroe - Nov 3 & 4, 2012

Warbirds Over Monroe - Nov 3 & 4, 2012

The Warbirds Over Monroe air show was held this past weekend. Begun in 2007 as Warriors and Warbirds, 2012 saw a name change, but retained the focus on WWII-era aircraft. The show is held at the Charlotte-Monroe Executive Airport, a primarily corporate and private airfield in Monroe, NC, just southeast of Charlotte. The show featured flying demonstrations by 4 P-51 Mustangs, 2 B-25 bombers, a pair of F4U Corsairs, a PBY, and the Commemorative Air Force "Tora, Tora, Tora" re-enactment group. They fly 8 aircraft (mostly T-6 Texans) that were converted to resemble Japanese fighters and bombers for the movie.

It was a very good show. Met up with a friend, got a spot right on the rope line, and settled in for the action. Plenty of flying, some interesting subjects, and the CAF filled the air with smoke, fire, and airplanes!

C-46 "Tinker Belle" is owned and operated by the Warriors and Warbirds organization, and is based at Monroe. Money raised from the airshow helps maintain the aircraft. She is airworthy (flew at Reading last year), but did not fly for this show.

B-25 "Briefing Time"

B-25 "Panchito"

The sun wasn't in the best spot, especially early in the show, but it did make for some dramatic lighting...1/30 second, sitting on the ground at the rope line, gives you lightning bolts from the spinner! And Quick Silver is a gorgeous airplane!

My personal favorite shot of the day...

Excellent work Moose! Those are some gorgeous birds! Think i may keep that little show on my radar for bext year
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net