Thread: Was Concorde damaged on Intrepid Pier ?

Question Was Concorde damaged on Intrepid Pier ?

The Intrepid Museum admits that the tent covering the Shuttle was damaged or destroyed but they remain silent about the fate of the historic Concorde which sits aboard Pier 86. It is usually only secured by small chains around its 3 undercarriages; hardly secure for a large hurricane. Did the Concorde survive or was she swept into the Hudson? Hopefully, she remains on the pier but how much damage did she sustain? Remember the replica of the HMS Bounty, made for the 1962 film, "Mutiny On The Bounty" sank in the storm last week; happily most got rescued.
    Last edited by Speedbird1; 2012-11-02 at 10:47 AM.

Doesn't look like Concorde got swept into the Hudson to me...
    http://www.nycaviation.com/2012/10/s...rricane-sandy/
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Managed to snap this on Tuesday afternoon. Concorde looked fine from a distance. Looked as closely as I could at the planes on deck and nothing appeared to be damaged other than Enterprise. The barriers on the pier were down but the guy in the security booth stopped me from walking out. There were a few ConEd trucks on the pier, appeared that Intrepid's power was out, which is reportedly what caused Enterprise's bubble to deflate.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Space Shuttle has damage to the top of the vertical stabilizer...I think one of the tents ropes tore through the top.

So does Enterprise look to be OK or damaged any way? I am with Speedbird1, I think there is a conspiracy at play here. I am sure the Concorde you saw, Matt, was a fake put up hastily to make the people thing all is ok. The shuttle is likely the same thing. It is probably down by 23rd st now downriver. I hope you boys are on the story and dig up the truth as soon as possible!

(look down by your leg and see if there is anyone pulling on it)
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    So does Enterprise look to be OK or damaged any way? I am with Speedbird1, I think there is a conspiracy at play here. I am sure the Concorde you saw, Matt, was a fake put up hastily to make the people thing all is ok. The shuttle is likely the same thing. It is probably down by 23rd st now downriver. I hope you boys are on the story and dig up the truth as soon as possible!

(look down by your leg and see if there is anyone pulling on it)
    Enterprise was damaged when the power went out. The bubble deflated, a light tower fell on her and there's a chunk of her vertical stabilizer missing, and probably other damage not visible from the street. See photos here: http://www.nycaviation.com/2012/10/s...rricane-sandy/
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Ouch!! The hits just keep on coming :-(
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Talk about poor planning. We don't need no sticking contingency plans! I want to see heads roll, pay checks slashed, etc. Someone need to pay for this. We at NYC Aviation could of planned better than they did.
    Last edited by Zee71; 2012-11-07 at 06:13 AM.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    Talk about poor planning. We don't need no sticking contingency plans! I want to see heads roll, pay checks slashed, etc. Someone need to play for this. We at NYC Aviation could of planned better than they did.
    Considering that NASA required the structure to be able to withstand a "100 year storm" I find it incredible that a backup power source was not part of the system. It is common sense that a 100 year storm would include widespread power outages. Additionally, now we are getting close to winter and Enterprise has no containing structure. I would imagine that constructing a replacement will take some time.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]