Thread: SWF - Heavy Traffic Possibly Inbound

SWF - Heavy Traffic Possibly Inbound

From the RadioReference.com Forums...

"Heads up...not sure what the callsigns are

NEWBURGH, N.Y. — The first of 17 Air Force cargo planes carrying scores of utility repair vehicles to storm-ravaged areas is scheduled to arrive at an upstate New York airport.

New York National Guard officials say the first plane is expected to arrive at 4 p.m. Thursday at Stewart Air National Guard Base in Newburgh, 60 miles north of New York City.

Guard officials say aircraft and crews from 12 active duty, Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve bases across the U.S. are flying to March Air Reserve Base in Southern California, where they'll pick up passengers and hundreds of tons of equipment and supplies to support relief efforts in New York and New Jersey.

The cargo includes 69 vehicles from Southern California Edison being transported on five C-5s and 12 C-17s."

http://forums.radioreference.com/1847257-post601.html
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Email me anytime at [email protected].

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Stewart has been significantly more active than normal this week. One night this week it almost seemed like the C-130s were doing pattern work at my house, they were flying with almost that much frequency. I see C-17s fairly regularly on approach to SWF, however the C-130s are much less common even though there is a (Marine Reserve I think) squadron based there. Heard something heavy fly over the house at about 5:30 this morning, so they have started for the day. SWF's location, size, and relatively low impact from the storm make it an ideal staging ground. Frankly, if LGA hadn't gotten up and running as quickly as it did, I wouldn't have been surprised to have seen some increased pax traffic on a temporary basis.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

C-5s and C-17s unloading utility trucks at SWF.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9