Thread: Wings Over Houston Airshow 2012-Ellington Field, Houston, TX

Wings Over Houston Airshow 2012-Ellington Field, Houston, TX

Wings over Houston 2012...

... What a show! As someone who has historically struggled to get good shots at Airshows, and after the frustration of Langley 2011 and my camera issues, I had let 18 months go without setting foot at an airshow with serious intention to shoot (Ft. Worth Alliance was too cloudy :( ). I was rather put off by the rude cops who relocated anyone who wasn't sitting to extreme show left (literally, up against the barrier of the hot ramp), but it may have been to my benefit. For me, this show was really the first time I had tried to shoot the warbirds, having always been too intimidated by the warbird "pros" and to uncertain in my technique.

Anyhow, enough chatter, how bout some pictures!

Finally got to see my beloved "Beast" fly!

That does it for me, at least until I get access to the camera I shot statics with, some time around Thanksgiving.

Hope you enjoyed!

Nick

Very nice work, Nick! You did a good job with the prop blur on the warbirds.

Thanks Moose! that's about the highest compliment you could pay me, seeing as that is my greatest weakness historically

Damn!! Excellent shots! Sharp, colorful, and gorgeous light! Absolutely amazing!
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Those are very nice!! Who is flying that F-4?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitese View Post
    Who is flying that F-4?
    That is still operated by the USAF. They have a number of F-4Es at Tyndall AFB and Holloman AFB for drone work - this one is from Holloman. They have a few painted in Vietnam-era markings and take it to airshows.

Excellent shots! We sure had two beautiful days for the airshow. When did you go? I was there with my son on Saturday.

Nice work Nick. Conditions looked to have been optimal for shooting. I'm loving the angle on the Dakota Kid.

very cool...I thought they even got rid of the F4 Wild-Weasel.

Thank you all so much! It was a fantastic show featuring some of my favorite warbirds, and had some awesome light in the afternoon. I spent all day Saturday there, and it was great. Passed a good while communing with Nasa's 747 SCA N905NA in the static park. Got to see her twice this year, and doubt I will ever again. I'll be sure to post some more pics of her when I get access to my CF cards back home in a few weeks

Some close-ups of NASA's Shuttle carrier Aircraft (SCA) N905NA taken at Wings Over Houston.

This last one really needs to be seen in larger resolution to be appreciated, So click here!

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Nice shots! Good to see light that like that an airshow. I think that Corsair was at FRG last year.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Thank you! The light truly was phenomenal in the afternoon. Sadly the AM light is horrendous, but the end makes up for the beginning!