Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: National Weather Service Says TS Sandy a "Powerhouse...of Historical Events"

Relieved all of you are ok. Still in shock at how much of a hit the city and surrounding areas took.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

My neighborhood was hit or miss. Some damage to my place, but we have power. I think we're the only house on the block with power. Trees down everywhere. Our neighbor's house was hit by a falling tree. Can't believe how much damage there was.

I cant put the link here from the hotel computer but if you go to the NY Post or Google NYPD helicopter rescue you get some amazing video of Helicopter 23 (the "unmarked" B412) doing
    hoist rescues in Staten Island. I believe the footage was shot directly from one of the PD Agustas!!
    Also I saw that the Navy is repositioning a number of helicopter carriers off the NY/NJ shore in case the copters on board are needed!!
    AMAZING, HEROIC and INSPIRING work being done by all police, fire, EMS, National Guard, utility crews and just ordinary citizens helping out!!
    Gives hope to humanity!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    I cant put the link here from the hotel computer but if you go to the NY Post or Google NYPD helicopter rescue you get some amazing video of Helicopter 23 (the "unmarked" B412) doing
    hoist rescues in Staten Island. I believe the footage was shot directly from one of the PD Agustas!!
    Also I saw that the Navy is repositioning a number of helicopter carriers off the NY/NJ shore in case the copters on board are needed!!
    AMAZING, HEROIC and INSPIRING work being done by all police, fire, EMS, National Guard, utility crews and just ordinary citizens helping out!!
    Gives hope to humanity!!!

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/s...JCvW5S7G7zU9AK

So I just talked to a LIPA crew, and they estimate we will still be out for another 7-10 days. On that news, I'm hitching a ride on jetblue up to Buffalo tomorrow. The damage around here is insane. Thankfully, none to our house.
    Good luck, everyone.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

I need a long extension cord and a power strip tor some juice since there are no power generators and even fuel around here to run them.

After this I am going to need a good spottng trip!
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

I've had enough of the darkness and the cold, and booked a flight up to Buffalo. I will be returning Tuesday. Good luck with the cleanup, everyone!
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

and the marathon is still going to happen? aren't there better things to do with the talent and resources?
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Yeah, Bloomberg says the marathon will still happen. I agree with you.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    I need a long extension cord and a power strip tor some juice since there are no power generators and even fuel around here to run thEm

That is exactly what we did with our neighbor/friend across the street that has power. Others down the block doing the same as our side is out of service. Huge tree came down in our backyard taking down the lines. It's going to be awhile but we are coping with the help of our friends.
    On a travel note I finally made it back from Arizona late lady night but not without some trepidation. Our United flight in PHX was delayed 2 hours but once we got up it was great. Guess people didn't want to come back east as it wasn't filled. In fact I had the whole row to myself and with clear skies pretty much all the way to Dulles it was an enjoyable view. Get in to Dulles and the first thing I see on the screen was that o
    9:30 flight to LGA was delayed till 10:30 "awaiting aircraft". Also knowing the state of LGA, even though it was open I'm thinking "oh man they better not cancel"! Well they didn't, we boarded and were airborne by 10:40. Very eerie coming in over the city and seeing large patches of darkness and lots of emergency lights flashing. Landed smoothly on 22 and home by 12:30. Hope everyone is safe!
    Last edited by Gerard; 2012-11-02 at 03:50 PM.

Hahaha sorry for the long space underneath. Using my wife's iPad with a little technical difficulty.

I heard on the national news Bloomberg is planning on throwing people out of the hotels to house the runners. Is this true?

The news (believe it was CNBC) just reported the marathon is cancelled.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    The news (believe it was CNBC) just reported the marathon is cancelled.
    Suprised it took Bloomberg that long. It was a horrible decision to hold it. I think once he saw the hotels refusing to give up rooms for runners and some runners boycotting he knew he was in trouble.

Eric has the water receded near Middle Bay? Got a friend on Illona Lane. He lost everything and he isn't answering his phone. Was going to try to go down and help him.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by Perriwen View Post
    I heard on the national news Bloomberg is planning on throwing people out of the hotels to house the runners. Is this true?
    Bloomberg is a jerk but he doesn't have quite that much power to do that. :)

It was some hotels themselves that were kicking out Sandy refugees in order to honor the reservations held by marathon runners. Other hotels did the right thing and told the runners to bugger off.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9