Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: National Weather Service Says TS Sandy a "Powerhouse...of Historical Events"

Latest official track has it making landfall along the northern Jersey Shore on Tuesday, which is pretty close to a worst case scenario for NYC in terms of storm surge. (Absolute worst case would have the storm churning directly up over New York Harbor).
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

ugh. i guess the only thing we can hope for is that it moves in and out quickly.

The NOAA writer called it "Frankenstorm", and someone already made a Twitter account for it.

I'd like to point out that this isn't new for NOAA/NWS, and I find it to be very irresponsible and unprofessional.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    The NOAA writer called it "Frankenstorm", and someone already made a Twitter account for it.

I'd like to point out that this isn't new for NOAA/NWS, and I find it to be very irresponsible and unprofessional.
    I agree. Maybe they dont have homes and family right in the path of the storm, or where storms have the ability to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    I was without power for 2 days. Some friends were without power for up to a week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Irene#New_York

Maybe NYC didn't get hit with 150mph winds, and we didn't see a 40 foot wall of water crashing down the streets of Lower Manhattan, but there was plenty of damage done in this area, not to mention even more extensive damage upstate and through New England. Irene was hardly a "dud" of a storm.

I apologize for my wording but my point still stands. The media went into overdrive scaring the hell out of New Yorkers and in the end the storm was nowhere as bad as people predicted it to be. So yes compared to the hype that preceded it the storm was more bark than bite.
    Last edited by alberchico; 2012-10-25 at 02:23 PM.
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

Holy Mother of God .. look at the latest spaghetti models. http://www.wunderground.com/tropical..._ensmodel.html

I dont know what the wind/pressure will be, but it looks like its stopping over our houses.

Quote Originally Posted by puckstopper55 View Post
    Holy Mother of God .. look at the latest spaghetti models. http://www.wunderground.com/tropical..._ensmodel.html

I dont know what the wind/pressure will be, but it looks like its stopping over our houses.

Aren't hurricane paths supposed to be notoriously unpredictable ? Is there a chance it might veer off course at the last minute and head out to sea ?
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

Quote Originally Posted by puckstopper55 View Post

Is that a CAMRN FOUR or a ROBER ONE approach??

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    I agree. Maybe he's trying to get a job at The Weather Channel.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I'd also like to point out that I read those text forecasts on "boring" days and there are such casual conversation in there is commonplace. The NWS/NOAA just shouldn't have that for potentially dangerous storms.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by eric8669 View Post
    A dud? seriously? my street was under water.
    I drove around with Fred. Many trees down. Water came halfway up the block. Power was out awhile. Def not a dud.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

@chadmeyerscnn: "After 26 years in TV weather and 2 years with NOAA, #Sandy may pose the greatest risk to human life that I have seen. Pls keep up."

This is a serious storm, and maybe I've been a little over the top, but this guy is going a little nuts here. This storm will affect a huge number of people, but for most the effects will be inconvenience like loss of power and water. Worst case, I think, is that parts of Manhattan and the subways will be flooded and unusable for some period of time. This is not the kind of storm that's going to blow people's houses down. The main threat will be flooding, which is a serious problem in some areas but much less so in others. Sure, the local economy will crap out for awhile and people will suffer, but to say this a more dangerous storm than say, Katrina, which killed over 1,800 people, is a bit much.

IT'S COMING RIGHT AT US!

Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

none of you guys are worried?