Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: National Weather Service Says TS Sandy a "Powerhouse...of Historical Events"

I took a quick ride to see first hand the damage in Broad Channel and Rockaway. All can say what a mess! As soon as I crossed over the Cross Bay Memorial bridge the devastation was clear. Sand was all over the place the boardwalk was swept away and homes ruined. My eyes teared up knowing how much damaged Sandy caused to us all!
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    I took a quick ride to see first hand the damage in Broad Channel and Rockaway. All can say what a mess! As soon as I crossed over the Cross Bay Memorial bridge the devastation was clear. Sand was all over the place the boardwalk was swept away and homes ruined. My eyes teared up knowing how much damaged Sandy caused to us all!
    It's all very overwhelming.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    On Facebook News12 Weatherman Bill Korbel showed pictures he took during a flight yesterday over Robert Moses and Smith Point Park. Just incredible that there really isnt much if any beach left!! SAD!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    On Facebook News12 Weatherman Bill Korbel showed pictures he took during a flight yesterday over Robert Moses and Smith Point Park. Just incredible that there really isnt much if any beach left!! SAD!!

WOW!!

https://www.facebook.com/korbel12?ref=ts&fref=ts
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

I believe FEMA gets a bum rap no matter what. I am fairly certain they gave money to local and state officials right away. I have not heard otherwise. It is always up to local govt to use it accordingly. I am certain I got help from FEMA via my employer (Hospital) as the folks supplying us with fuel were from Louisiana and were fueled by FEMA personnel at Ft. Dix from Military fuel tanks/reserves (his words)

Not saying they are great but certainly can;t say they are a joke. Not sure what they should be doing. NO AMOUNT of response or preparation will ever get to everyone right away, at the same time nor will it ever put things back the way they were overnight. I think we need to wait and see after all has been recovered how the response could be measured. I listen to First Responders and Emergency Services as well as Federal and State government all day long on my scanners and I hear nothign but well intentioned hard working people at all levels.

Sanitation especially has shown to be HIGHLY professional and amazing in really stepping it up, 24/7 non stop.

NYC DOH and US Army with out of town EMS and private Ambulance were setting up a M.A.S.H. unit somewhere yesterday, I assume Far Rockaway but not sure. FEMA is probably the best prepared to guarantee dollars for such a huge relief operation. Lots of private companies would not be doing this otherwise. Same for electrical contractors and linemen from out of state. I saw one on TV being interviewed saying the pay was really good but he loved to help. That money is likely coming from FEMA funneled through the local utilities.

When you hear Christie, Cuomo, Bloomberg etc. saying FEMA is not stepping up, then you can say that... otherwise, I think it is premature to say they are a joke! Again, with the caveat that I saw that help directly. I understand if [you] have not, how you can believe anyone isn't doing much for you and your recovery :-(
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    how you can believe anyone isn't doing much for you and your recovery :-(
    By closing with 5 inches of snow on the ground?

They have done a little better than Katrina (where they were more than a joke) but still very inept. Give the local officials the money and let them get the help in. BTW No governor or mayor will publicly slag them for it hurts them down the road politically with the feds if they ever need something.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

The thing about FEMA is that they are not a massive Army, so when things ARE happening, it can be tough to know where the help is coming from and who did what.

But hearing about people who have had hardly any officials come downt heir block, leaving people to completely rely on themselves...not good.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    When you hear Christie, Cuomo, Bloomberg etc. saying FEMA is not stepping up, then you can say that... otherwise, I think it is premature to say they are a joke! Again, with the caveat that I saw that help directly. I understand if [you] have not, how you can believe anyone isn't doing much for you and your recovery :-(
    Tsake a ride out to Republic Airport and talk with them. They have the whole Main Terminal and surrounding lots set up as their staging area/HQ.

Hey everyone, it's been a long two weeks, the state activated my agency so I have been working for 14 days strait on 18 hour rotations, all I can say is wow..... And thank you for all of the support from all over America we have gotten in Long Beach, this is my first day back at the airline after which I will be back in LB to work again. One day when I have fully digested everything I will put it to some workds, I've still yet to really think about it all myself but I will tewlll you having been smack dab center and up close, that was something I don't think could be conjured in a movie makers dreams. It was like the deepest darkest nightmare you can think of where everything that can go wrong did. For now, I need to tend to some airline things, after a few more days of work and a two week vacation to someplace warm with boobs, beer and calypso music I'll be back. Thanks for the wishes everyone. I'll be in touch.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

A little humor which we all need........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QKDpu4u650

LIPA Style!!

LOL
    thats great
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Sandy's destruction as seen via NOAA satellite photos

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/news/we...y-imagery.html

It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Quote Originally Posted by JHNA57 View Post

That is ****ing insane.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Originally Posted by JHNA57

Actually, these are not satellite photos, they were taken from an aircraft. I do recall seeing a twin engine, maybe Baron flying high patterns last week.
    Last edited by JHNA57; 2012-11-13 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Added quote