Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: National Weather Service Says TS Sandy a "Powerhouse...of Historical Events"

I keep reminding myself it was not even a CAT1 when it hit land... imagine if this had been a CAT5? Today I heard the DOH talking on the radio about a massive deployment somewhere (could not figure out where in the city) of over 90 Ambulances, a M.A.S.H. setup, 200 Army troops and lots of police... I assume Far Rockaway or Long Beach? this is crazy crazy crazy...
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    I keep reminding myself it was not even a CAT1 when it hit land... imagine if this had been a CAT5? Today I heard the DOH talking on the radio about a massive deployment somewhere (could not figure out where in the city) of over 90 Ambulances, a M.A.S.H. setup, 200 Army troops and lots of police... I assume Far Rockaway or Long Beach? this is crazy crazy crazy...
    Nor did we get much rain. If we got 8-10 inches of rain forget it. SI and the Rockaways are terrible and FEMA has been a joke. They were closed because of 4-8 inches of snow? They are an emergency org!
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Much shorter lines today, about 30m. Over in queens, I did see NYPD enforcement. Did not see that in Nassau.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    Much shorter lines today, about 30m. Over in queens, I did see NYPD enforcement. Did not see that in Nassau.
    There was no enforcement in my town though most were complying I did see one car with an even plate but the line moved so fast nobody seemed to care. Again this was done late in the game and with the weather now things will correct.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

The gas thing is really upsetting me. I don't see why there are still distribution problems in our area. If I can drive to Westchester or CT, then the gas trucks can drive to me, too.

Now the rationing...did the politicians know that maybe distribution was to improve for today and the rationing makes it seem as though THEY found the fix?

There's really something not right about this.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    The gas thing is really upsetting me. I don't see why there are still distribution problems in our area. If I can drive to Westchester or CT, then the gas trucks can drive to me, too.

Now the rationing...did the politicians know that maybe distribution was to improve for today and the rationing makes it seem as though THEY found the fix?

There's really something not right about this.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...5fe5b10c48.2c1

Simple search. It's not a conspiracy Phil. In fact the rationing should have been started from the beginning like NJ did.

For what it's worth, just about any gas delivery that goes into Nassau County rumbles down my cross street, Peninsula Blvd, on their way out of the Inwood Terminal. There is no lack of gas trucks zipping along, nor has there been for days.

Thank you for giving me front line info.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Power is back on for me, after 11 nights of darkness and no heat. Plenty of work ahead to get my dwelling back up to par! It may take a month or two just to make livable. As far as gas goes I saw this morning a tanker at the Hess station on Cross Bay blvd open with 6 cars this morning. When I returned later in the day about 15 or so were there. I know they had to replace all the pumps which they did a couple of days ago.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Nice Mark!
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Good to here Mark.

my home is still in the dark. Don't know if you guys have been seeing what's going on in Oceanside. I know its bad all over. There was some kind of rally today. Lots of yelling and screaming as Politicians spoke. I'm at my aunts house in N Woodmere who finally got power yesterday.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

It amazes me these worthless politians a couple of days after superstorm how they are patting themselves on the back about how they communicated so well amongst themselves but they forgot one important ingredient " the victims" of the disaster. They only way I knew what was sort of going on was thanks to my scanner which I was able to tune into news frequencies. If it weren't for that I would clueless. People are frustrated with all that has been occurring or not occurring. I believe even Mayor Bloomberg didn't think the storm would be that bad while the meteorologists were stating otherwise, by then it was too late to evacuate other low lying areas. Lots of lessons to be learned from this disaster and lots of angry people to satisfy.

One group that deserves lots of kudos is the NYC department of sanitation. They really came through big time in terms of cleanup the trash that piled up.
    Last edited by Zee71; 2012-11-09 at 11:20 PM.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Well besides that is just the fact that you can keep some faith in humanity as well. I've heard some really touching stories from around the way. Aside from friends that have reached out and offered help in any way, which is touching and deeply appreciated, a local dude whom I only know through twitter via the Capitals news lines sent me a message offering a hand as well. And a guy I work with (who we all think is bat **** crazy) went out and bought a SECOND generator so he could give it to another coworker in desperate need. All very touching. **** the politicians. It's up to us to take care of each other in situations like this. All I and a lot of folks in my area who are very bad off have heard from FEMA is a big **** you. That part of it is sickening. What else can one expect I suppose? They said **** New Orleans so why would they really go the extra mile for us?

There is a lesson to be taken from all of this. The lesson I've learned is be thankful for everything. My friends and family are all ok. There are no funerals to attend (which is great because I don't have a suit anymore lol) and nobody needs to be visited in the hospital. The rest is just stuff, and stuff can be fixed and replaced over time.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

FEMA is a joke. You would think after Katrina we would have learned. We don't need an agency in these situations just the money. The fed should give the local officials whatever money or help they need and they should be in charge.

Yea Eric I saw Israel going on about something how the Government should have handled the power like they did in Baghdad. Unfortunately though he was on to something Baghdad probably was a bit easier to deal with since it wasn't under water, didn't have any trees and probably had a much easier infrastructure. Though he was trying to flame LIPA. LIPA should be ashamed of themselves. Unprepared and doing a terrible job. In cases like this I think the Governor should insert people to take over the operations during the disaster until things get done.

For what it's worth, I am hearing people being helped by FEMA. However, like others said, it's messy.
    My parents friends live in a development in Inwood, which had it's entire first floor washed out.
    They obviously all have their own claim numbers with FEMA.
    But instead of sending one person to observe the damage at the complex, they assigned an individual agent to each unit. So they would look at one unit, and say ok we have to go to Oceanside now, bye.
    Total disorganization.