Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: National Weather Service Says TS Sandy a "Powerhouse...of Historical Events"

So the snow last night didn't help. Areas near me that regained power the Tuesday after the storm, lost it last night as a few high-voltage lines came down. Still no ETA for restoration by me, and I'm not holding my breath.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

So they just announced gas rationing for Long Island using the odd/even system. Kicks in tomorrow morning at 5am.

I think something is fishy, because you can drive north and find gas stations with no lines that all have a lot of gas, yet companies aren't redistributing down here.

Are we all getting the screw?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Would that surprise you?

Electricity!

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    Electricity!
    Welcome back to the grid!

Rationing on LI? What happened to 'you should see the gas situation improve dramatically over the next few days', which Cuomo said on the radio several days ago??? So I take it that didn't come to pass and you guys are still dealing with lines.

All the spigots should be on by now, and there should be no lines. Like I said, not very far away(south of I195) there are no problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    I think something is fishy, because you can drive north and find gas stations with no lines that all have a lot of gas, yet companies aren't redistributing down here.

Are we all getting the screw?
    Of course we are. Make all the promises right before election day, then after the election, you don't hear a word about how they are making progress getting fuel to Long Island/NYC. Now they announce the rationing...why didn't they do that from the beginning?

NYC just announced it too... Odd-Even starting 6am tomorrow until further notice. I predicted this would happen before the storm hit. Even with the port open, with electricity back at Linden refinery/fuel farm, there are unknown problems not being shared with the public and it shows in the lack of service to the gas station network.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Long Islanders should really really strongly urge their local governments to ignore the NIMBYs and create a strategic fuel depot or depots throughout the island that come in from the north and the south and NOT through the NYC bottleneck!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

last I heard the Inwood terminal was repaired and open as of last weekend...guess it didn't matter much, OR there are probably bigger problems than we are being told. I'll go with the latter

Trucks have been flowing in and out of the Inwood terminal for quite a while now. The problem out here on LI, I believe, is a combo of panic buying and the fact that a lot of stations have closed recently.
    My area has lost a bunch of gas stations recently, and others have gone independent. The independent ones have yet to refuel even once. The remaining major stations are getting daily shipments, but they are overwhelmed with customers. Combined with stations that just don't have power, it's a problem.

From NYS:
    "Due to conditions caused by Hurricane Sandy, Bayswater Point State Park will be closed until further notice."

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    We should have been gas rationing all along like NJ. The lines were ridiculous and the second storm just made the problem worse with panic buying and stockpiling.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    We should have been gas rationing all along like NJ. The lines were ridiculous and the second storm just made the problem worse with panic buying and stockpiling.
    True, as the lines here were nowhere near as bad as what I saw in Nassau. Maybe they didn't want to use the word 'rationing' as that in itself could have spurred panic but the damage has already been done