Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Very Recent JFK Incident at T6 Parking Lot

[QUOTE=NIKV69;477314] To be honest I really don't like to be tied into or with anything Phil or NYCAV does /QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    I am not the one arguing Manny, just asking questions from Phil's meeting. I don't need to get on a podium I am not the de facto spokesperson here. Phil is. To be honest I really don't like to be tied into or with anything Phil or NYCAV does but since Phil is doing this and I am a NY spotter it effects me and I would like to know what is happening. If you want to rant and call me crazy send me a PM. Stop trolling.
    who's stopping you from doing your own thing?
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Nick, me ranting? Trolling? You are the one that sounds like a troll. Everyone else said thank you, you go on and on pointing out issue after issue etc. If anyone is a troll, it is you...

and you're afraid of discussing this publicly? I am not into PMs, too conservative. I like my liberal-semi-conservative views way out in public
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by eric8669 View Post
    who's stopping you from doing your own thing?
    You will have to define that Eric. If you mean shooting and not being affiliated with this site is doing ones own thing that I guess I do that already. As I stated earlier I am a NY spotter. I don't consider myself part of Phil's site for the purposes he outlined in his speech. I merely post in the message forum. There is a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu
    you go on and on pointing out issue after issue etc
    No, just one. The PA's attitude of rather discouraging us from shooting than tolerating. Stop clouding that with your rant. Again PM is your friend.
    Last edited by NIKV69; 2012-11-15 at 09:55 PM.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Look, the point is as simple as this. We already knew that there was no rule against spotting or even photography at PA property. The issue was that the PD made up their own rules, completely randomly and varying from office to officer, and usually enforced with extreme prejudice.
    This will at least attempt to spread the word within the PAPD that spotting is just fine.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Nice speech Phil, as to exact rules I am little confused. Haven't we already established that? No checkpoints and people?
    As far as I knew, no. My own understanding, as was explained to me by airport management for years and from PAPD is that photography was not allowed on airport ground, even though there was no official rule on it.

Also in your private meeting did you broach the topic of the attitude that they would rather run us off and discourage that you mentioned earlier?
    I mentioned it on the phone to the official I spoke with, and he was interested in hearing specifics of examples, which I intend to provide details of for all future encounters where that is the case.

My speech also specifically referenced the intimidationg with the intent of discouraging the spotter from continuing the hobby.

I don't see why we need a piece of paper or quotes when the officer approaching us should be aware of the rule
    That is just it. I do not think that the officers actually know...because it wasn't published anywhere. All they had to go by was misinformation on what airport managers said the rules were...which was wrong. I personally (my opinion) is that PAPD officer simply did not know the rules, and maybe airport management felt tehy had the freedom to make up their own rules since there was no clear guidance from their higher ups at PANYNJ HQ.

This was my whole point in asking for their actual stance on the hobby. With this clear rule and related memo, we will know that those officers and airport management have no room to tell us that photography is not allowed. It also gives us something tangible to show and stick up for ourselves with.

I could be wrong, but I don't think any of us felt we truly had the freedom or would feel comfortable going into any NYC terminals to spot. In the coming weeks, that will be a possibility again.

The underlying problem was a so called attitude Phil claimed in an email he supposedly saw.
    Let me know if you don't actually believe anything I say, I don't want to waste your time or mine if anything I say is just bull in your mind.

As for the quote, though I didn't name the individual, I put the exact quote in the article that I wrote.

If real acceptance is accomplished this is unnecessary.
    You're completely right. And this new step is a new chance for us to receive that acceptance, as we now have a tool in our belts specifically for it. Maybe the cops will press back...who knows? This isn't a final victory for on-airport spotting. We will need to see how it goes.

Ultimately, in the beginning of the thread, Nick, your concern was losing the one on-airport spotting location as a result of the article I wrote, and you wanted me to do more to build an even stronger relationship with Port to bridge that gap. Not only did my article help open a location in another city (San Antonio), but I did step it up even further as I planned and as you requested. So instead of losing a spot...we now stand to gain an infinite amount of spots, and finally have access to an airport that we didn't previously have access to (EWR).

And this isn't a victory yet, nor are this week's revelation's useful until we get that memo in-hand and go to the airports to test it all out. So you may be right...it's too early too tell.

Nick, as before, I am still open to suggestions if there is even more you think I can do that I haven't.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D
    As far as I knew, no. My own understanding, as was explained to me by airport management for years and from PAPD is that photography was not allowed on airport ground, even though there was no official rule on it.
    http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/media-access.html

Click middle tab that says Videotaping/photography at PA facilities.

My speech also specifically referenced the intimidationg with the intent of discouraging the spotter from continuing the hobby.
    I know I asked did you discuss this in your private meeting after your speech.

This was my whole point in asking for their actual stance on the hobby. With this clear rule and related memo, we will know that those officers and airport management have no room to tell us that photography is not allowed. It also gives us something tangible to show and stick up for ourselves with.
    See above link Phil. It is clear what their stance is. Your speech intro laid it out clearly that your site is tied to the media. You dropped CNN etc. So to them this is not a hobby and they will not differentiate. This is my concern that now all spotters will be painted with the same brush.

Let me know if you don't actually believe anything I say, I don't want to waste your time or mine if anything I say is just bull in your mind.

As for the quote, though I didn't name the individual, I put the exact quote in the article that I wrote.
    You misunderstood Phil, I believe you. I just asked if you touched on this in your meeting because it wasn't that the policy was not clear. (Above link) It was that PA would rather us not be there at all and that a relationship needed to be established.

Ultimately, in the beginning of the thread, Nick, your concern was losing the one on-airport spotting location as a result of the article I wrote, and you wanted me to do more to build an even stronger relationship with Port to bridge that gap. Not only did my article help open a location in another city (San Antonio), but I did step it up even further as I planned and as you requested. So instead of losing a spot...we now stand to gain an infinite amount of spots, and finally have access to an airport that we didn't previously have access to (EWR).
    EWR is a smoke screen. No matter what happens the better spots at EWR like Ikea will not change since that is Elizabeth PD land. I shoot at EWR with no issue by simply using my head. This discussion is about the garages and terminals at JFK. Let's stick to that.

And this isn't a victory yet, nor are this week's revelation's useful until we get that memo in-hand and go to the airports to test it all out. So you may be right...it's too early too tell.

Nick, as before, I am still open to suggestions if there is even more you think I can do that I haven't.
    How does a spotter get this memo? What happens if a spotter doesn't visit this site? I would rather have to check in with ops or something so they know we are there and have a name. I think it would much more effective.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Phil, you are a tireless advocate for everyone in this often misunderstood hobby. I think it is obvious that almost everybody here appreciates the hard work that you are doing.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Quote Originally Posted by mldoc View Post
    Phil, you are a tireless advocate for everyone in this often misunderstood hobby. I think it is obvious that almost everybody here appreciates the hard work that you are doing.
    +1 on that Phil.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Nick, you wanted me to PM you. Why didn;t you PM Phil? Just wondering that's all... LOL
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Someone craves attention Manny.
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!

Coming close to moderators locking this down?
    After all the crap we've all been through the last few weeks.....CANT WE ALL GET ALONG?
    Geez!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Coming close to moderators locking this down?
    After all the crap we've all been through the last few weeks.....CANT WE ALL GET ALONG?
    Geez!!
    OH SHUT UP lol
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/media-access.html

Click middle tab that says Videotaping/photography at PA facilities.
    This is for commercial and media filming only. Nowhere does that page even suggest that any of those guidelines are intended for non-commercial, private use.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    I had to speak fast and get a lot out there in only 3 minutes, and I made it just in time. The part that you didn't hear when I turned around was to the PAPD officers, who had just received heroism awards, saying "This is of course not to discredit the work of the Port Authority Police Department, who do a great job keeping our ports safe everyday..."

I was pleased with the info that I was able to pass along to them. Already, I've received word that a memo is being prepared to be given to all PAPD commanding officers to address the PANYNJ's true policy on photos during roll calls to all PAPD officers.
    Spectacular job. Thanks for all you've done, and you're making a real, tangible difference. It's much appreciated.