Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Very Recent JFK Incident at T6 Parking Lot

Though I've already spoken with them, the public speech is a way of putting us on public record. I have 3 minutes to speak, during which I intend to introduce NYCA, show our relevancy and influence in the media, introduce planespotting, explain the incident mentioned in this thread, introduce the airport watch program and its benefits, and ultimately ask Port to work with spotters or to help us practice our hobby in a safe manner. Yes...in three minutes.

Separately, the news of spotting being legal on airport grounds is not actually new, or at least just not confirmed....airport management from multiple PANYNJ airports have clearly stated that it was AGAINST rules, even though it was not official. This goes back to what the official rules are. Again, I hope to take the info that I was given by the higher-ranking PANYNJ official and give us somethign tangible that we can use in enjoying our hobby legally, safely, and void of law enforcement mistreatment.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by eric8669 View Post
    Where is the board meeting? I would like to go.
    Eric, don't go creeping or scaring anybody out now. We've come a long way for that ..

Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Strange, when I posted about my problems with the PA harrassing me at airport properties, the response was that I should get-over the "they're out to get us" attitude of mine. Years ago, after 9-11, I was waiting for a Concorde arrival on 13L and was waiting atop one of the garage roofs. I saw a car driving around and after about 10 minutes the driver told me that I was on private property and must leave immediately. Luckily, I was never searched or humiliated. I responded that I was waiting for the Concorde but he didn't care. I left and moved to a different location where I finally saw my Concorde. These guys like to harrass spotters but many just report us and let us stay. I know they watch us in all the terminals and since 9-11, who can blame them? Hopefully, a way could be worked out where we could even get special photo ID cards from the PA if we are willing to undergo a background check which is no problem. If worked-out, spotters would be welcomed at the area airports and allowed to spot without suspicion and fear of harrassment.

Phil, excellent job at the Board of Directors public session. I was watching it live via the PA web site. A lot of information to cram into three minutes, but glad you were able to speak before the directors and commissioners. There were also a lot of top-ranking PAPD officials and officers there who heard you as well.

I doubt the issue will go away overnight despite your conversation with that top-ranking official and your appearance before the board, but hopefully they will finally publicly concede that photography at PA airports is allowed and make it official (in writing.)

It was also very cool that you spoke back-to-back with Kal, my partner in crime in the Save the Worldport campaign. :)

The board meeting video has already been published and is located at http://www.panynj.gov/corporate-info...ng-videos.html

Click "Board Meeting 11/15/12." Phil's talk starts at 53:32 into the video, which is towards the end so you need to fast forward once the video fully buffers.

-Anthony
    Last edited by Braniff; 2012-11-15 at 04:46 PM.
    Believe It!

Well done Phil... looks like you had 5 seconds to deliver a thesis :-) I think you did a terrific job given the circumstances.
    Manny Gonzalez

Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

I didn't know it was being broadcast live! Surprised the video is available so quickly.

Yes, I had to speak fast and get a lot out there in only 3 minutes, and I made it just in time. The part that you didn't hear when I turned around was to the PAPD officers, who had just received heroism awards, saying "This is of course not to discredit the work of the Port Authority Police Department, who do a great job keeping our ports safe everyday..."

I was pleased with the info that I was able to pass along to them. Already, I've received word that a memo is being prepared to be given to all PAPD commanding officers to address the PANYNJ's true policy on photos during roll calls to all PAPD officers.

This pretty much means that within the coming weeks, PAPD officers will know that aviation photography IS allowed on airport property, and maybe we can begin spotting in terminals without worry. I am working to also get a document that I can pass to you all to show you the exact rules, which can allow for quoting when questioned by officers, guard or concerned citizens.

PLEASE...if you have questions or anything, let me know so I can communicate more concerns to PANYNJ. Thanks guys.

I just learned that this memo will be made available to us as well, which I will pass along.

EWR spotting anyone? :)

Great Job Phil! Yes I did just watch the video. 2 thumbs up! Hope this all goes well..
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Great job, Phil! I would have run out of breath by about the 5th sentence.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D
    I am working to also get a document that I can pass to you all to show you the exact rules, which can allow for quoting when questioned by officers, guard or concerned citizens.
    Nice speech Phil, as to exact rules I am little confused. Haven't we already established that? No checkpoints and people? Also in your private meeting did you broach the topic of the attitude that they would rather run us off and discourage that you mentioned earlier? I don't see why we need a piece of paper or quotes when the officer approaching us should be aware of the rule as we are and should be just checking that we are indeed just spotting and after a quick ID check should be on his way. If anything is to change it has to start with a mindset of acceptance and this being passed along to all officers.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    If anything is to change it has to start with a mindset of acceptance and this being passed along to all officers.
    Maybe you missed this part of Phil's post...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    Already, I've received word that a memo is being prepared to be given to all PAPD commanding officers to address the PANYNJ's true policy on photos during roll calls to all PAPD officers.
    It doesn't matter if we know the real policy, it is up to PAPD command to make sure the troops know it too.

BTW, I just had a chance to watch the video. Good job, Phil, although I might have re-thought that choice of tie... :-)
    Last edited by moose135; 2012-11-15 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    Maybe you missed this part of Phil's post...
    No but you obviously didn't read mine.

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    Also in your private meeting did you broach the topic of the attitude that they would rather run us off and discourage that you mentioned earlier?
    Or this?

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    If anything is to change it has to start with a mindset of acceptance and this being passed along to all officers.

I am sure PA knows what the rule is since they are tasked with enforcing it. The underlying problem was a so called attitude Phil claimed in an email he supposedly saw. If anything is to change the commanders are going to have tackle that. Not just distribute a memo telling them something they already know. Or us carrying something around to use when we are approached. If real acceptance is accomplished this is unnecessary. Since all we would have to do it show and ID and explain what we are doing or develop contacts or a system where we announce our arrival beforehand. These are the things that can yield results. Not just merely stating the obvious.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Nick what's your point of being so argumentative instead of positive? Are you only interested in arguing or fighting? Lay down your weapons, we all want the best here, there is NO CONSPIRACY dude, none whatsoever :-)

Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here!

I have never seen you up in front of the PANYNJ or otherwise any podium... why not run for office already? You'd make a great politician :-)
    Last edited by gonzalu; 2012-11-15 at 08:31 PM.
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Nick what's your point of being so argumentative instead of positive? Are you only interested in arguing or fighting? Lay down your weapons, we all want the best here, there is NO CONSPIRACY dude, none whatsoever :-)

Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here!

I have never seen you up in front of the PANYNJ or otherwise any podium... why not run for office already? You'd make a great politician :-)
    I am not the one arguing Manny, just asking questions from Phil's meeting. I don't need to get on a podium I am not the de facto spokesperson here. Phil is. To be honest I really don't like to be tied into or with anything Phil or NYCAV does but since Phil is doing this and I am a NY spotter it effects me and I would like to know what is happening. If you want to rant and call me crazy send me a PM. Stop trolling.