Thread: The New Long Bridge Park DCA

The New Long Bridge Park DCA

I decided to test derive the new Long Bridge Park and spent three hours. The park is perfect for DCA departure shots when the airport is in North ops or Runway 1 departures. The result was well, I will let them speak themselves. The main highlight was Frontiers newest A320 N263AV, a former USA 3000 metal.

Great job covering this park Fasil! That bank on the PSA rules, really lets you see the smile

Cool photos! I'd be curious to see what it'd look like with them coming in on 19 in some afternoon winter light from Long Bridge Park. I've been wanting to come out to DCA and get some shots later this season of them banking hard for 19... but not from Gravelly Point. That place is overshot. -- Is it possible to walk to Long Bridge Park from DCA? I've taken a leisurely stroll along the Mt. Vernon trail from DCA across the Potomac to the National Mall before (Awesome walk btw).. but getting to Long Bridge Park, looks like you might have to jump some guard rails and walk along a stretch of highway? ... I mean, I guess i COULD bring my car into DC if I had to, but, riding the metro in is soooo much easier!

Congrats again on the nice shots. if you get out there when they're landing 19, please share them! =)

Quote Originally Posted by skyteam18 View Post
    Cool photos! I'd be curious to see what it'd look like with them coming in on 19 in some afternoon winter light from Long Bridge Park. I've been wanting to come out to DCA and get some shots later this season of them banking hard for 19... but not from Gravelly Point. That place is overshot. -- Is it possible to walk to Long Bridge Park from DCA? I've taken a leisurely stroll along the Mt. Vernon trail from DCA across the Potomac to the National Mall before (Awesome walk btw).. but getting to Long Bridge Park, looks like you might have to jump some guard rails and walk along a stretch of highway? ... I mean, I guess i COULD bring my car into DC if I had to, but, riding the metro in is soooo much easier!

Congrats again on the nice shots. if you get out there when they're landing 19, please share them! =)
    Yes I have the same question about 19 arrivals. Why would anyone consider any other location besides Gravelley point where you are as close as possible, perfect side shot and no heat haze? Well, I am thinking if I walk a little closer to the 14th street bridge where all arrivals make their final right turn as you said it, it might offer a nice bank shot but this is just a thought for now. I will do all the necessary investigation and report back when they are on the 19th next time. If I am not able to walk towards the bridge along the rail road tracks, the planes are too far and too many trees in the way. We will see. As for walking from DCA I wouldn't rule it out completely but I don't think it's possible.

The spot offers the perfect bank shot along with the perfect side shot we are accustomed to at Gravelley park. It looks like they have even built a stage just for us to shoot it seems as you can see on the picture. However, its noted on the WashingtonBaltimore spotters group website DCA spotting guide http://www.washbaltspotters.net/spotting.shtml they will build a new commuter train station for Crystal City right next to this platform so not sure how long this spot will last. Also, this spot is not recommended during the summer as it provides no shield from the scorching sun.

They even made something to sit on and relax.

I hope this spot last forever. Now, the show

It also offers that perfect side shot we are accustomed to at Gravelley point.

Because some bank too soon at the Monument I recommend a 400mm or 500mm lens. Otherwise a 300mm will do just fine.

Fasil, Oh yes.. nom nom! These are fantastic! Clean, crisp, and perfect light angle for wintertime ops. Thanks for scouting out this location. I'll be up there with the 5D and 400L here pretty soon ready to do some damage! :D Wanna join? PM me!

I like that Challenger 600 shot!
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Quote Originally Posted by skyteam18 View Post
    Fasil, Oh yes.. nom nom! These are fantastic! Clean, crisp, and perfect light angle for wintertime ops. Thanks for scouting out this location. I'll be up there with the 5D and 400L here pretty soon ready to do some damage! :D Wanna join? PM me!

Sure let me know when you head down this way.

I definitely have to hit that spot when I come down to DC in the Spring for the cherry blossoms and [hopefully] Andrews airshow.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Fasil ...Awesome set and great location. The light is perfect, shots are clean and crisp. Well done!
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet