Thread: Is there an APP for that??

Is there an APP for that??

Hopefully this thread will be useful for all of us looking for opinions on the best available apps, free or otherwise.

I am looking for an I-Phone app to help decode aviation weather briefings.

Also, is Sporty's E6B flight calculator useful even to a non-pilot

I can't imagine any civilian use for a Sportys calculator at all. Maybe others feel differently.

I recently got AeroWeather, a good app that is my favorite so far, that lets you choose "decoded" to view the text reports. I haven't used the decoded version though. Otherwise worth the $3.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    My favorite recent addition is FlightRadar 24 Pro. It uses a combination of ADS-B (realtime) and FAA Radar (5 minute delay) to show whats out there. There are 2 modes: a map like Flightaware (ADS-B/FAA) and augmented reality (ADS-B only) which has probably become my favorite feature. I can stand in my yard and ID the traffic flying overhead now much more easily then I could just using Flightaware. Three bucks well spent, though there is a limited functionality free version if you want to try before you buy.

Of course there are the old standbys Flightaware (free!) and LiveATC.net's app ($5) I also have an app called "World Airport Data" that I am just starting to rediscover. At $4 its a bit steep for whats included I think. And similar to FlightRadar24 is Planefinder and PlanefinderAR.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by JHNA57 View Post
    Hopefully this thread will be useful for all of us looking for opinions on the best available apps, free or otherwise.

I am looking for an I-Phone app to help decode aviation weather briefings.

Also, is Sporty's E6B flight calculator useful even to a non-pilot
    ATIS is great as it decodes the AWOS data in english for you :-) and it's free. Unfortunatley, LiveATC does not have the JFK or LGA or EWR ATIS feeds :( I was thinking of providing the feed for LGA ATIS from my LGA TOWER location but I can't get a strong enough signal for it...
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS