Thread: Air Crash

The show was pretty good but seeing the demise of a beautiful 727 was sad.
    Gene Delaney

i flew that ship N293AS when I was a Champion pilot,especially when I was JFK based, "Big Flo", was a silly name for a beauty like that,they should have trashed an A320 !!!
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

I had a feeling it was an ex-Champion bird with that paint

Only problem with the show was how limited the generalizability of their findings are. It's pretty rare for no fire to break out after a crash, I guess they came in just shallow enough not to break the tanks open. What was amazing was seeing one of the engines still running at full power

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    What was amazing was seeing one of the engines still running at full power
    It was trying to avenge its MURDER! :P
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    It was trying to avenge its MURDER! :P
    LOL!
    Gene Delaney

Quote Originally Posted by 727C47 View Post
    i flew that ship N293AS when I was a Champion pilot,especially when I was JFK based, "Big Flo", was a silly name for a beauty like that,they should have trashed an A320 !!!
    I wonder if the 320 would have held up as well
    Gene Delaney

It was an interesting show. I wonder why they didn't have cameras on the ground if they were short or long though. Very smart people doing this test for sure but seriously they didn't think about a faster chase plane or having a spare? It would of been the first thing I thought of when setting this up.

Quote Originally Posted by 727C47 View Post
    First I laughed so hard. Then I said wait a minute, where is the love for A320?

I thought the show was well put together. I am sure they are still analyzing data, but based on the evidence one can make some general comments......like sitting in the back appears to be safer as one may sustain less g-forces, etc. it sucked to crash a pretty bird like that.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Zee I was thinking the same thing about the back of the plane (Which is where I normally sit) until I started watching this show which shows all the people in the back passed away. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...urs_Flight_28M

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Ohare View Post
    Zee I was thinking the same thing about the back of the plane (Which is where I normally sit) until I started watching this show which shows all the people in the back passed away. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...urs_Flight_28M
    Since USAir 427 I've done quite a bit of reading about air disasters, and the only conclusion you can really draw is that 1)beyond a certain g-loading it don't matter where you sit and 2)for accidents that are 'survivable', what would be a safe seat in one situation would mean death in another. So...just try to enjoy life

Me, I usually take my chances over the wing box, structurally one of the strongest areas of the aircraft. That does put me closer to the tanks but if Death comes, at least he'll be quick about it.