Thread: 6-8 hrs to kill at JFK Sat 13th Oct

6-8 hrs to kill at JFK Sat 13th Oct

All,

I arrive into JFK from MCO on Delta at 10am on Sat 13th. Oct to T4, and depart to London on BA from T7 later that night.

What is spotting like airside from within the BA Terminal? Bag drop opens at 10am, so I can drop my bags quite early.
    Is there any where else handy to the terminals for spotting that is not airside?

Mark

If I'm not mistaken T7 faces RWY13L/31R so there's a good chance you'll see some nice ops. Maybe others here can say more about views from the inside

Given the fact that you will arrive to T4, you may be able to get some aircraft parked at the their gates, but I'm pretty sure you will not be able to get any views of the runways since there is construction being done on that part of T4. If you step outside of T4 and go to where folks are being dropped off for their departing flight, you maybe able to snap off a few shots at the end of each wing. Delta at T4 is typically on the west wing of the terminal. I haven't flown out of T7 in a while, but as I recall, the windows had a tint, but who knows, maybe in other sections of T7 may be fine. Good luck.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Thanks for the tips & advice.

I'm currently inbound JFK on Delta 2058 from MCO. If anyone is headed out to JFK today and wouldn't mind a Brit tagging along for a few hours, drop me a PM (I only have wi-fi access till I get to JFK).

Mark

Had 8 hours total at JFK yesterday between flights.
    Spent 4 of those in the BA lounge at T7 and the other 4 taking photos within T7. Some examples to follow tomorrow, when I get them downloaded.

For those interested, for future reference -

Windows in T7 around the gates 3-4 area are absolutely filthy. Could do with a good clean. Not so much tinted, just dirty.
    Due to slanted nature of windows in T7, closest you can get a lens to the glass is maybe 1-2 feet.

Seating area between gates 5-6 and the laptop connection seating bar behind the M&M's store offer good views of runway 13L / 31R.

Heat haze was an issue for shots of aircraft landing on 13L / 31R. Not too bad on 747 sized aircraft. For aircraft taxiing past, heat haze wasn't as big an issue.

Best shots can be obtained of aircraft going into or pushing from gates 6 & 7.

There is no views of the runway or gates available from the BA lounge.

Mark

BA lump being pushed off of gate 6 to be towed to gate 9 for flight later that night.

Think this came out ok given the circumstances described above.