Thread: A little color, a little fire...a lot of fun. Luminata 2012

Program Coordinator

A little color, a little fire...a lot of fun. Luminata 2012

I had an opportunity this past Friday night to photograph another one of the events that makes Seattle - and the north end in particular - stand out: Luminata. The event celebrates the changing of the seasons from the gloriousness of the Seattle summer (however short) to the gloom and rainy chill of the fall, winter, spring, and early summer with an eclectic variety of luminary-based art. You'll see everything from elaborate "lanterns" that took the artist months to build alongside dollar-store lanterns picked up 10 minutes before the parade, which helps add to the community togetherness feel. The folks who put it on are the same ones who do the Solstice Parade that I spend every year working on. It was my first time attending, and it was a huge challenge photographically as it takes place at night while moving. Even still though, it was so much fun. And another reminder that Seattle is a pretty cool town.

LED light hoola-hoopers really provided some awesome material to work with and a good chance to further work on long-exposure flash-strobes:

Wahoo! Fire! This guy was nuts - and did a whole routine if you will on a pier on the lake. He let me set up shop pretty close by.

Last edited by jerslice; 2012-09-24 at 01:01 AM.

This is so cool. I wish we had something similar out here where I am. Nicely done Jeremy!

Wow, awesome captures Jeremy!!!

Program Coordinator
    Thanks guys, this was a pretty awesome event. Wish I had known about it in the past years