Thread: Longest Scheduled Flights from LGA

Longest Scheduled Flights from LGA

I am curious about which scheduled flight non-stop from LGA has the greatest miles. I think off-hand it would be the Frontier flight to Denver. I note no flights to SFO, LAX nor to LAS. Any reason for that? Kids Day has stirred-up my interest in LGA which I feel does a great job and is sadly maligned by the press very often.

The "Perimeter Rule" restricts the length of flights out of LGA. Direct flights are limited to a distance of 1,500sm, except on Saturday. Denver is the one exception, as it was already being served as a non-stop when the rule took effect. DCA has a similar rule. They were put into effect to promote use of newer, larger airports in the region (JFK and IAD). The length of flights allowed has changed over the years, mostly due to political considerations.

UA also flies LGA-DEN. CO used to have a Saturday only LGA-AUA. In the winter, AA flies LGA-EGE on Saturdays using a 757.
    Cessna 6MA Kennedy tower, Rwy 31L, CLEAERD TO LAND!

Many airlines flew longer routes on the exception-Saturday. Like ATA to SFO on a 757-300.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

In addition to CO, US also flew LGA-AUA on Saturdays with an A-320 for several years. And up until about two weeks ago US was using an A-319 to do LGA-PHX on Saturdays, not sure if will return for the winter but done for now. It averaged 90-100 pct load factor but not sure about the yields. I think DL may have done LGA-SLC a few times at different periods on Saturdays.

Yes, Delta did do SLC. In fact, Delta went to congress to make SLC another exception to the LGA rule, but were shot down.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

DL also tried LGA-LAS and LGA-LAX, but neither lasted very long.

Another bit of trivia: Southwest tried a Saturday-only LGA-DEN, not because of the perimeter rule (since DEN is exempt) but because slots are not applicable on Saturday. Also didn't last long.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

This information is what I was wondering about for years. I was curious why LGA had no direct flights to the Coast. I must say a word or two in LGAs defense; considering they have just 2 runways which converge, to the bargain, the controllers do an amazing job. Since I live near the flight path of JFK, LGA operations were always a mystery to me. Thanks for clearing-up things. LGA also has to deal with seasonal problems, such as avoiding the US Open, etc and does that nicely. I find the terminals to be clean and functional despite reports I read. LGA critics always unfairly give it a low rating or even a negative rating, which I disagree with strongly. Didn't Trump say the entire airport should get re-built from the ground-up? Of course, LGA could use another set of runways, but where can you build them? How insensitive the Don is (a hypocrite as well as he stored his personal jet there). How would you guys rate LGA?

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter View Post
    DL also tried LGA-LAS and LGA-LAX, but neither lasted very long.

Another bit of trivia: Southwest tried a Saturday-only LGA-DEN, not because of the perimeter rule (since DEN is exempt) but because slots are not applicable on Saturday. Also didn't last long.
    Isnt WN already flying to DEN daily now?
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Using LGA is a mixed bag at best. It is ok if using Term C or D, except that the parking lot has a big section closed, but using the central terminal is a nightmare...old inefficient and overcrowded.
    It's the fares, stupid