JAA PPL Series: Episode 3 - First Solo (Exercise 14) at Panshanger (EGLG)

JAA PPL Training Series
Aerodrome: Panshanger (EGLG)
Flight School: North London Flying School
Aircraft Type: Piper Archer PA-28-181

So the time was now - Exercise 14. Last minute aircraft change from G-BWPH due to a slightly dodgy altimeter, and away we went in Mike Papa. Apt as it was the first aircraft I flew as a pilot under training back in December 2011.

If you'd like to skip to the solo flight and miss the check flight, skip to 53:05

First - the check flight. We departed the 29 right hand circuit heading towards Buntingford for some general handling. Level flight, turns, climbs, descents, clean stalls and base to final stalls. I was a little nervous - and was slightly thrown by having the instruments removed from my view for the majority of the flight. But it really enforced VFR. Next back to the circuit for a couple of touch & gos.

And then I was on my own. Golf Mike Papa becomes Student Golf Mike Papa for one first solo circuit and full stop. It was nothing short of amazing. The aircraft was airborne before the numbers, nose down for 75 knots and away we go into the right hand circuit. Much quicker on your own for the first solo than with an instructor sitting next to you.

Really enjoyed the landing, could hardly feel the touch down and I've been reliably informed it looked good from the windsock too so I can't complain.

So thats it folks. Exercise 14 - COMPLETE. Next step, solo circuits and navigation! Enjoy.